Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dlink DIR601 - cannot connect from laptop

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 77 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jan-2012, 05:24 PM #1
Dlink DIR601 - cannot connect from laptop
I installed a new DIR 601 last July (2011). It replaced and old Dlink 150 that I have used for a number of years. I connected 2 PC's direct to the router and bought 2 dongles and connected two remote PC's onto it (4 total). They are not all on at the same time - usually. The laptop is a gateway vintage 2004 and has XP on it. It is updated I use it everywhere wireless and not. It works wireless ok everywhere, even McDonalds. When I connect it to the home 601 it connects and connects, etc etc. and never does. I am using WEP and have a security key. I see the network on the network list and click. It does not give me an option to enter the security key and does not give me an error and defaults to "Free Public Wifi" (I think this is the internal card). I am sure the security key is the issue and cannot figure out where to enter it. I haven't looked in the registery but that is a spooky place in which to play and I avoid it. Don't want to run into the Blue Screen Boogy man. I did however do a search of the registry for the network name and came up empty. No surprise. Where do I go to find and update the security key to access the router? Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 77 posts.

21-Jan-2012, 05:38 PM #2
I connected to internet via wire and MS updated today. No new update was available for the machine. Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

21-Jan-2012, 06:17 PM #3
Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.
Computer Specs
Member with 77 posts.

21-Jan-2012, 09:48 PM #4
I know the security key changed. I changed it and never found time to set the laptop. Will disabling encryption bypass the security key?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!