Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop won't stay connected to wireless internet

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
03-Feb-2012, 04:53 PM #1
Laptop won't stay connected to wireless internet
Hi,
I'm having trouble getting my laptop to stay connected to my wireless internet. This problem only occurs with my laptop. Other laptops in the house are able to connect no problem. It stays connected for about 5 minutes at a time, then loses connection. I have to disconnect and then reconnect all the time just to get online. I've had the router about 2 years with no problems. This just started happening only to my laptop yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,016 posts.

03-Feb-2012, 06:46 PM #2
Do you have the same trouble with an ethernet connection?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (including Radar, Connection and Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

03-Feb-2012, 07:29 PM #3
I can't get it to take a screen shot. My screen shot key is my "end" key. Nothing happens when I press it. I go to Gimp to put it there and it tells me I have nothing to put there. Sorry I'm so inept
Computer Specs

03-Feb-2012, 08:07 PM #4
You can still answer the ethernet (wired) question and post the ipconfig /all.

On some laptops you have to hold the Fn key while pressing PrtScn. If you are using Vista or Windows 7 try instead to use Start - All Programs - Accessories - Snipping Tool.

You can't be inept. Inept (and a lot of other) people haven't even heard of Gimp!

03-Feb-2012, 08:28 PM #5
Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
Laptop won't stay connected to wireless internet-screenshot.jpg  

03-Feb-2012, 08:35 PM #6
I did the other thing with the start and run, select all and hit enter. It just flashes on the screen and goes away. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong
Computer Specs

03-Feb-2012, 08:37 PM #7
The signal is plenty strong enough, but that Signal History graph is scary. Mine typically is a straight line, varying by only 1 or 2 dBm. Assuming you weren't tossing the laptop up in the air or skipping around the room there is something wrong there.

Go to your laptop manufacturer's web site, support section, and make sure you have the latest wireless driver.

If one of the other laptops is running Windows see what the Xirrus Signal History looks like on it. If it is pretty much a straight line that points a finger at your computer (instead of the router).

On many laptops you can get to the wireless adapter by removing a cover on the bottom of the laptop (unplugged and battery removed, of course). If yours is like that check to see that the antenna leads are secure.
Computer Specs

03-Feb-2012, 08:39 PM #8
Probably don't need the ipconfig /all now, but what you did wrong is run the ipconfig /all in the Run box, instead of typing CMD to open a Command Prompt.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!