Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

ALFA AWUS036NHR RL8188RU low signal

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Feb-2012, 08:00 AM #1
Angry ALFA AWUS036NHR RL8188RU low signal
Hello, I don't know what happened to the adapter, because the received signal is extremely low.

My own AP wich is 2m away has a signal of -70db. The internal antenna receives the same signal at -30, -40db.
I tried all the drivers I could find. Also tried 3 different antennas. I can connect to my AP but the speed rating is 1mbps to a max of 11mbps.

The latest driver from Realtek is newer than the driver from ALFA site. Both drivers are the same, no differences noted.

The adapter is not under warranty, because is bought from ebay.

Also I tried the adaptor on another desktop PC and it has the same low signal.
Attachment: Differences in signal strenght between internal adapter and the AWUS036NHR.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
ALFA AWUS036NHR RL8188RU low signal-inssider.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,781 posts.

07-Feb-2012, 11:19 AM #2
My first thought is that you now know why it was sold w/o warranty. But before accepting that negative thought try a few things.

Switch the internal adapter off to make sure there is no interference when testing the USB one.

Not knowing for sure how a powerful adapter like that may work I'd try from a much greater distance from the AP. With a regular adapter you should be nearly 2 meters from the AP to make sure you're not too close, and maybe that distance is greater for a high powered one.

"Simplify" the signal--try w/o encryption and try a single channel (20 MHz instead of 40 MHz). If having no encryption helps then try WPA-PSK.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Feb-2012, 11:53 AM #3
Everything from ebay is sold without warranty. Or maybe 14 day warranty. The item was brand new, in a sealed box from ALFA, with the hologram on it. I doubt it is counterfeit.

I have used it before, and from this exact position it got at least 10 networks (the ones that my laptop get with low signal) with at least 4/5 bars.

There is no difference if I disable the internal wireless.

I think it may be a problem with the antenna mount. If I take off the antenna, there is almost no difference.
I took the printed circuit board from the casing and checked the soldering on the antenna mount and they're all good. The other components of the PCB look OK.

Yesterday when I got the adapter back from my gf, I checked it into a local pub and it worked fine. I also tried another antenna with greater reception. Worked ok, dissasembled everything, put them in box, went home. When I arrived, tried it again, and since last night I can't get it to receive good signals.

Any other ideas please?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,781 posts.

07-Feb-2012, 01:22 PM #4
You're already way ahead of me.
Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Feb-2012, 03:21 PM #5
Im experiencing the EXACT same problem... The antennas make no difference and the 8 access points that were previously showing up are no longer there. :\
Member with 1 posts.

22-Feb-2012, 01:15 PM #6
I had the same issue in January and it was due to a bad production batch from Alfa, or at least that is what I was told. The seller replaced it for me and the new one works fine. If you bought from an authorized Alfa seller, it should have a 1-year replacement warranty. There may be no money back depending on the seller's return policy. I don't know where to find out if a seller is authorized, but you might try emailing Alfa to ask if yours should be under warranty and where to return.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
alfa, awus036nhr, rtl8188, signal

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!