Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: network monitering help needed

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Feb-2012, 06:43 PM #1
Solved: network monitering help needed
i was trying to play a game online one night when i was getting some really bad lag. something was eating up bandwidth.. i went on my router and saw an unknown device that i saw earlier that day but ignored. it also caused sever lag on netflix. i know it wasn't me because i set all my programs and OS to not auto update absolutely anything.

my question is what can i use to monitor all activities of all the devices connected to our router? i already used the access control and mac address filter features on our net gear router. i already confirmed it wasn't anyone in our house that got past our password protected router and downloaded at high speeds so I'm thinking if i can somehow turn access control off temporarily and monitor the whole network maybe i can find out who got passed our router security.

any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,488 posts.

08-Feb-2012, 08:27 PM #2
Secure your wireless network with at least WPA-PSK TKIP encryption and a strong passphrase (mixture of letters and numbers at least; not a dictionary word).
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Feb-2012, 10:08 PM #3
thanks for the suggestion but i was thinking more along the lines of monitoring all the other pc's on the router real time. what ports there using, how much bandwidth is being used for what, etc. know any good programs for that or if its even possible?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet, router, security, software, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!