Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Motorola modem and Netgear Router

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

08-Feb-2012, 10:57 PM #1
Motorola modem and Netgear Router
I have Charter cable Internet service. I recently called Charter because the service was dragging and many times unable to connect. They stated I was paying for 30mbps but my Motorola Surfboard modem was only capable of 15mbps. I decided to purchase a new modem of course the only one in stock at Best Buy was the $159.00 Motorola Surfboard Extreme Wireless Cable Modem Gateway. Now I also have a separate Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400 as well.

When I refresh my Internet access I now have both Netgear and Motorola as wireless connections. My question is which one do I connect with and also, do I need both of these items Motorola modem and Netgear router? I find that when using the Netgear connection the Internet seems to be a little bit faster than if I use the Motorola connection. I'm just really confused about whether I need both of these items and if I have them set up correctly. I called charter and my MAC Id is set up for the Motorola modem. Please help if you can, thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,560 posts.

09-Feb-2012, 11:21 AM #2
You have a modem/wireless router. There is no reason to add another wireless router unless, well, unless you have a reason to do so. And, "a reason to do so" means experiencing some issue with the Motorola that can be improved/solved by adding more equipment.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!