Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Networking and my Sony Blueray Player

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Feb-2012, 01:50 AM #1
Networking and my Sony Blueray Player
Ok, here's my complete hardware setup along with what I'm trying to do. Let me know if I've left out something or if you have any suggestions. My networking experience/knowledge is just average. Thanks

In my living room -
I have a nice Samsung flat screen and a Sony Blue ray Player. Connected to those is a cable box (DSL) and a wired router.

In my office -
I have 2 computers (mine and wife's). They are both connected to a wired router. I also have another wireless router (Linksys) that's not hooked up at the moment.

Currently everything in my office works perfect and we're both connected to the internet fine. In the living room the TV operate perfect and so does the Sony BD player. But I cannot connect to netflix or to the internet from the living room.

1 note - Both our office computers used to be hooked up to the wireless router and my wife's computer was connected through to the internet through my computer. This also allowed us to connect to netflix in the living room. But I changed that because I could not get both computers to see each other. So now the wireless router is not hooked up and we have no netflix.

WHAT I'M WANTING

1) I'm wanting both our computers to see each other - (not real important)
2) I'm wanting to connect to the internet in the living room. - (very important)
3) In the living room I'm also wanting to be able to connect to my movies back here on my office computer. - (very important).
4) I prefer (if possible) to connect through "wired" as opposed to "wireless" because I assume it's fast. - (not real important).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Member with 299 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Feb-2012, 08:20 AM #2
Hi,

Sometimes big explanation of situation not helpfull for me.. sorry if not get it properly.

Options:
1. Let your wireless router work as access point, disable DHCP server on it. In this case all devices will be in same network (DHCP on wired router), and you will have connectivity with all of them

2. If now all 4(tv, player, both PCs) devices connected to one (same) wired router and you in the same network everywhere, it should work without problems.

Last edited by xalerik; 15-Feb-2012 at 08:28 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

15-Feb-2012, 10:41 AM #3
How do I "let wireless router work as access point"? I dont know what access point is?

Sorry, just dont know how to do that. Much thanks...
Member with 299 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 03:05 AM #4
So, from your last post i should understand what you need wireless? In wants 4) you stated something different.

In wireless networks mainly 2 types of devices exists. Wireless router and wireless access point. Wireless access point extends current wired network to wireless.
Wireless router acts as wired and wireless service provider.
Which model of linksys you have? I'll look if it can work in AP mode.
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 10:44 AM #5
My router
WRT54GS V7.2

I have a router/modem in my office and the same in my livingroom. I also have a Linksys wireless router (not connecyed right now). I'm just wanting to get the wireless router hooked up to get my blueray player in my livingroom connected to the internet and alos try to connect my blueray player to my computer where I can load my movies.
Member with 299 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 10:49 AM #6
which model of player, it has wireless connectivity?
also models of your routers/modems.
It would be very nice if you able to draw some scheme of cabling in house, how cables goes from internet service provider and how they connected to those modems. This is independed connections from provider?
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 10:54 AM #7
I will create you a drawing of my entire setup. Give me about an hour.

MUCH thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 12:19 PM #8
Below is my setup.

At one time the wireless router was hooked up in the office and internet worked on the tv but wife's computer had to connect to internet through my computer and our 2 computers could not see each other and we couldn't share printer, etc. I forget how it was setup.

Anyway, beside me wanting my tv to connect to the internet I'd like for my tv/blueray to connect to my computer where I can connect to movies on my computer. I'm learned sort of that this can be done. But if not then bo problem.

Member with 299 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 01:38 PM #9
Let's do step by step. Networks not connected to each other, they are absolutely separate.
Distance between those two places?
If you connect your computer to router in living room directly by cable, you have internet? Only in TV not working?
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 01:42 PM #10
Computers are in another room. That would be one long cable. I'd like to use this wireless router if possible.
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 01:43 PM #11
Sorry, I miss read. I do not have computer connected to livingroom.
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 01:46 PM #12
Office is amny feet from livingroom. I "do not believe" the networks are connected. But I dont know.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 01:49 PM #13
You have 2 separate DSL modems?
Member with 299 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 01:50 PM #14
You should know cabling of your house... If you want have connection from TV and blueray to your PCs, and you planning use this connection to copy movies for example, you need speed.. Wireless connection not usable in this schema. This is nonsense in one house have 2 different networks. Should be one router, and several switches in each places to connect devices, but should be one network. All places should be connected somehow if this is one building.
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 01:58 PM #15
Yes, I have 2 modems the cable company put in. They say "ADSL Router". Both are listed in the diagram.

The cable company added cable wiring for our office but it goes under the house I believe. Not sure.

It may be one network, I don't know. I dont know how to tell.

If you know how I can re-hookup the wireless router to get internet on tv then that will be fine. I can just forget about tv and computers connected together.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
at home, networking, sony blueray

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!