Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HELP: Computer not connecting to wifi

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Feb-2012, 02:35 PM #1
HELP: Computer not connecting to wifi
I just bought a refurbished computer, and it has been working great except that it is not connecting to unsecure networks. I'm not talking about ones I should not be using, I'm talking about public ones that you don't need a password to use. It has been working most of the time with secure networks in which a login key and password is needed. However, there have been a few times where even then it doesn't work. It'll say that the signal strength is very good or excellent, but that there is limited or no connectivity. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,463 posts.

28-Feb-2012, 03:42 PM #2
Do you have service pack 3?

What exactly happens and doesn't happen when you try unsuccessfully to connect?

Are these unsecured networks the kind where your browser is redirected and you have to agree to their terms (e.g., McDonalds's)?
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

29-Feb-2012, 08:37 AM #3
I don't believe I have service pack 3 but I'm not really sure what that is...yes McDonalds is one of the places that I have tried. It worked when I first used their wifi but then stopped working there. So yes, the browser redirecting and agreeing to terms are one kind of unsecure network. But also just other unsecure networks in general.
Computer Specs

29-Feb-2012, 11:13 AM #4
SP3 is the last service pack for XP, and the only one that has been supported siince about 1 1/2 years ago.

What wireless utility are you using, and are you sure no other one is running?
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

06-Mar-2012, 06:13 AM #5
Sorry I'm really not a technological person...what do you mean what wireless utility? I connect to whatever WIFI zone I'm in but it actually only connects to the ones that you need a username and password to login too. I was wrong it does work with unsecure networks but just with the ones you need usernames and passwords to get into. I'm just confused because it did work the first few days but then just stopped.
Computer Specs

06-Mar-2012, 10:15 AM #6
Right click on 'Computer' or 'My Computer' - Properties - and tell us what operating system and service pack you have.

Alternative way to get to the Properties page is to press and hold the Windows logo key and then hit the Pause key.

Wireless utility = wireless client = wireless program is the program you use to manage/connect to wireless networks. Most operating systems in the last ten years have one built in, the manufacturers of many wireless adapters include one, and some computer manufacturers supply one.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connectivity, internet, network, unsecure, wifi

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!