Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet connected but not working...

(!)

Member with 10 posts.

02-Mar-2012, 08:06 AM #1
Internet connected but not working...
Since yesterday, the signal that my wireless router broadcasts has stopped working. My iMac, iPod and PS3 all receive a signal but don't work. I have bought a new wireless router but the same problem occurs and I have also called my ISP, NetGear and D-Link Customer support and neither have helped. I have looked up solutions on the internet (I am on a wired connection on my dads laptop) but have had no luck. Does anyone recommened anything because I urgently need internet for school work and my dad needs his laptop for work. If this helps the actual internet service itself crashed on Thrusday and when that came back up that's when the wifi stopped working. The D-Link is a DIR - 600 and the Netgear one is a N300 Wireless ADSL2+ and the laptop is running Vista. Please note I am not a technical genius so if you wouldn't mind keeping things simple for me that would be much appreciated, thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,609 posts.

02-Mar-2012, 02:22 PM #2
you have mentioned 2 routers

Netgear ADSL and the D-link DIR-600

Quote:
actual internet service itself crashed on Thrusday
so what did you do to get it all working again

Assuming non of the setup has changed , do a full power cycle -see below
then have a look at the lights on both routers and see if the WLAN or wireless light are on
how are the two routers connected together ?

download xirrus and post a screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/0047...etup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi...uide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 30 seconds.
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a seperate device ) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
Member with 10 posts.

02-Mar-2012, 08:44 PM #3
It's Netgear15.

The reason why it crashed was because our ISP had crashed and they just fixed the problem but since then our wireless router(s) haven't been been working.

I haven't power cycled yet, but I'll try it now and I'll let you know if it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Internet connected but not working...-wifi.jpg  
Member with 10 posts.

02-Mar-2012, 09:19 PM #4
Power cycling did not work :/
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,489 posts.

02-Mar-2012, 09:37 PM #5
Make sure you have the latest wireless driver--from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

Disable encryption (and MAC Address filtering) on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.
Member with 10 posts.

02-Mar-2012, 09:50 PM #6
It''s not the laptop, its the router.. how do I disable encryption and MAC address filtering?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,489 posts.

02-Mar-2012, 10:21 PM #7
Login to the router, preferably with an ethernet connection, navigate to the wireless section, set the Encryption (or Security) Mode to 'none' or 'off' or similar, find wherever the filtering or access control stuff is, set MAC Address filtering to 'off' or 'disabled.' The router user manual should be on a CD and on the manufacturer's web site.
Member with 10 posts.

02-Mar-2012, 11:45 PM #8
Wait, so I was just going through everything on the router webpage thing and when I went to setup it said this: "No Internet Connection detected. Please check the connections to the Internet WAN port and cable/DSL modem." What does this mean?
Member with 10 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 01:17 AM #9
I did nothing, the internet service crashed, so everyone else who is with my ISP had internet that isn't working. When my ISP fixed whatever problems they had, I have a wired connection. But my problem is the wireless connection. This is about the second time in 2 months they've had problems...
Also I just noticed that when I try and use my Netgear router, my browser try and loads the page for a long time then just stops. However, when I use my D-Link one it says there is a problem with the DNS look-up, any way to fix that?
Member with 10 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 03:16 AM #10
This is what Xirrus looks with my D-Link
Attached Thumbnails
Internet connected but not working...-wifi2.jpg  
Computer Specs

03-Mar-2012, 07:03 AM #11
how are you using the routers ?
as asked above
how are the two routers connected together ?

because the first xirrus has a netgear wireless signal
and the 2nd xirrus has a dlink wireless signal ?

need to understand if they are both used why they are both not seen ?

so you do have wireless now being broadcast on both routers - so the issue seems to be connecting to the routers

do you have more than one wireless device can any connect ?
is this just one PC

are you being asked for a wireless key when you try to connect ?
Member with 10 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 07:22 AM #12
1. what do mean by how are they used?
2. both arent used, i thought it might be useful if you saw both netgear and d-link.
3. no devices can connect, i linked an ethernet chord from my modem to my dads laptop to get a connection, its just the wireless that wont work. DNS communicating with servers is the error message i get with the d-link seems, so that appears to be the main problem.
4. no, it connects because it remembers the password.
Computer Specs

03-Mar-2012, 07:37 AM #13
Quote:
1. what do mean by how are they used?
why do you have two routers ?
can you describe the full setup
Code:
--->  telephone --- >  netgear  -- > connected to dads laptop by ethernet 
                              netgear   -->  wireless
why have the d-link

Quote:
i linked an ethernet chord from my modem to my dads laptop to get a connection,
why, sounds like your dad is setup for internect sharing - but if you connect to his laptop ethernet port - how is he connected to the router ?

- what happens if you connect that ethernet cable to the netgear ethernet ports ?

what other wireless devices do you have

I would remove the d-link router for now
I would log into the netgear router and remove the wireless security and see if you can connect to the netgear wireless with no wireless security

Quote:
4. no, it connects because it remembers the password.
- your not showing a connection

lets see an ipconfig /all

ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
Member with 10 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 08:16 AM #14
so i have a marconi modem. there is a red ethernet chord that runs from a port with the title DSL to the wall. then there is a yellow ethernet chord that runs from the modem to the d-link wireless router, which broadcasts the signal around the house. there is then a blue ethernet chord which runs from the modem to the laptop, which gives the laptop a wired connection, but thats only used when the wireless is down.

like i said earlier, we only use 1 router only for purpose of broadcasting a wireless signal so we can connect the imac, ps3 and other devices.

i cant do the command thing now, my dad commutes to a city thats a 3 hour drive away and he wont be back until tuesday and im on a phone with a 3G connection now.
Computer Specs

03-Mar-2012, 09:48 AM #15
sorry getting even more confused

the netgear is a ADSL Modem Router N300 Wireless ADSL2+
so connects directly to a telephone line and has the modem included

But we can concentrate on the Marconi and the D-Link

the marconi modem actually sounds like a router

This sounds fine
Quote:
there is a red ethernet chord that runs from a port with the title DSL to the wall. then there is a yellow ethernet chord that runs from the modem to the d-link wireless router, which broadcasts the signal around the house.
But this
Quote:
there is then a blue ethernet chord which runs from the modem to the laptop, which gives the laptop a wired connection,
means there are two cables from the modem
1 is a red one that runs to the Router D-Link and should connect to the internet socket of that router - IF the Modem was NOT a router
then you have a blue ethernet cable
Quote:
blue ethernet chord which runs from the modem to the laptop
this means the Marconi Modem is in fact acting as a router - if it has two connections

Connect your PC to the Blue cable and post an ipconfig /all
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!