Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet becomes very slow or stops working

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-Mar-2012, 07:22 PM #1
Internet becomes very slow or stops working
It's fairly hard to explain what happens but basically, say I'm playing some type of online game, all of a sudden anything server sided such as HP amounts, damage amounts, etc. just disappears but the animation runs fine such as attacking being hit, etc. All of a sudden it'll jump forwards and I'll take any damage and do any damage that had been happening until the issue started. This happens constantly and it's really frustrating but on top of that my internet will slow to a crawl..

Say I'm trying to send a message on Skype, it won't send for the longest time and I won't be able to recieve any or even open a new webpage until the problem fixes itself.

I've looked around a bit and thought I fixed the issue, I'm on wifi and multiple devices are connected but not always in use, and the forum I found suggested an ip conflict and said to open up command prompt release the ip with ipconfig /release and then renew it with ipconfig /renew.

For a little bit afterwards, sometimes seconds sometimes the rest of the day, the issue is resolved but eventually it comes around again.
I'm stumped and would appreciate any help what-so-ever. I'm not entirely sure what information I should include in my post, considering I've never visited this forum before, but I'll do my best to provide any information required.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,452 posts.

04-Mar-2012, 08:32 PM #2
Was/is there an IP conflict?

Do you get the same problem when connecting by ethernet instead of Wi-Fi?
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-Mar-2012, 08:34 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Was/is there an IP conflict?

Do you get the same problem when connecting by ethernet instead of Wi-Fi?
I'm not sure. There's a few things hooked up to our wifi and I'm not entirely sure how to tell if there is/was. It just seemed to fix it, renewing the IP at least, though not always for long. And my laptop's a bit strange. It's hooked up by ethernet right now, but it seems to still be using wifi. Regardless with the cord in or not, the problem hasn't been fixed.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,452 posts.

04-Mar-2012, 09:01 PM #4
Quote:
It's hooked up by ethernet right now, but it seems to still be using wifi.
??? Switch the wireless off, unplug the adapter, or disable the wireless in Device Manager or Network Connections.

What firewall or security suite do you, or did you ever, have on the machine?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet, slow

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!