Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problems with WIFI after vista factory reset.

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

21-Mar-2012, 08:57 PM #1
Problems with WIFI after vista factory reset.
Hi all,

I have a Sony Vaio vgn - NR10E laptop which I bought nearly 2 years ago from a refurbishing shop.
Up until last night its been fine, but since I decided to restore to factory settings (due to it slowing down considerably) I can no longer connect to my home WIFI.

I get the 'Unidentified Network" wording, which is confusing the hell out of me, as I am using my partners laptop to connect post this and its fine (they both run vista).

I have tried different methods online, but nothing which is specific to my computer, I have tried downloading the drivers from sony, performing another system restore and fiddling with the ip address and dns address...no luck so far.

I would have connecting via ethernet cable, but the port to that is broken, so I was supplied with a ethernet - usb adapter, but in order for that to work, I need the drivers, which are online...grrr.

Any help would be amazing, as I need this laptop for uni work and stuff.

Cheers

Luke
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

21-Mar-2012, 09:20 PM #2
How did you try downloading drivers from Sony if you can't get online and didn't know how to download drivers for the wired adapter on another computer?

You're on the Internet now. Go to Sony's website, download the wireless network adapter drivers, save them to a flash drive, and install them on the laptop.
Member with 2 posts.

21-Mar-2012, 11:17 PM #3
the method you mentioned with the flash drive is the same way I did it with the sony drivers...but it didnt work, I tried intalling the wlan driver, as well as a general bundle of drivers that come pre loaded onto the laptop anyway (just in case my ones were corrupt or something).
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

22-Mar-2012, 07:56 AM #4
It'll work every time. What exactly did you download, and how did you try to install them? Were they compressed files? Did you uncompress them? Were they executables? Did you point Device Manager at the extracted INFs? Or run the driver install program?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connection, network, vista, wifi

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!