Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot connect to to wireless Canon Printer w/ Win7 x64 (MG8120B)

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

23-Mar-2012, 04:32 PM #1
Cannot connect to to wireless Canon Printer w/ Win7 x64 (MG8120B)
This previous thread had expired and I just recently purchased the printer and am running into the same problem.

Was wondering if anyone had resolved it or could offer any advice beside the standard router/printer rebooting, firewall disabling, etc.

Specifically, I am able to connect to my first laptop on which I installed all the drivers on but when I try to add an additional windows 7 laptop, I get:
"The printer could not be detected on the network..." when I try to install the driver and run setup.

Thanks!
Member with 2 posts.

23-Mar-2012, 04:55 PM #2
This actually solved the problem for me on the second laptop:

Setup WNC on your new laptop, insert it into your Canon & configure it there.
Then run your driver install (I ran it from the included install disk).

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/...ection(windows)
Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Mar-2012, 07:08 PM #3
Thumbs up Turn off any firewall software
I had the same issue recently with Pixma MG5250, after getting a new laptop with Win7 (x64). I could only get it working somehow with default Microsoft WSD drivers, where windows uses printer webservice over HTTP (standard port 80). This allowed me to print and scan using windows tools, not great but for short time fine acceptable...
Finally I figured out, that even though my windows firewall was off, company sysadmins already installed Kaspersky AV, acting also as a firewall. And as my wireless IP range is a bit different than standard 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x ranges, AV detected my local network as the internet and blocked the installer attempts to get to the printer's 8611 port, while it still allowed to ping the printer or access printer via service page running on HTTP 80.
I managed to disable AV and the standard Canon MG drivers installation went through OK i.e. the installer was able to detect my printer on the network on the first attempt without that stupid message "The printer could not be detected on the network". I also ran the installer as the Administrator user, but I was running it under the Administrator before as well and still getting the error message, so the main issue was the firewall.
I can now use all the Canon software and especially the "MP Navigator Ex" to scan documents into pdf (wasn't possible with windows basic scanner software) and use my printer as before on WinXP .

Btw I found a similar post on microsoft page:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-4d04f1d86b8f

Last edited by jozky; 23-Mar-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
canon, mg8120b, unable to connect, wireless printer

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!