Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Acer Netbook says connected to wireless, but Internet will not work!

(!)

Member with 546 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Mar-2012, 10:24 PM #1
Acer Netbook says connected to wireless, but Internet will not work!
I have an Acer Netbook that says it is connected to my wireless network, but the Internet will not work. I was using an old Linksys wireless router and it was working fine. I decided to upgrade to an Linksys E3000 and used the same SSID and password with an encryption of WP2. The laptop says it is connected to the wireless network, but internet won't work. I tried winsockXP to reset the settings, also disconnecting from the network, deleting it and then reconnecting. I have another Laptop that is running W7 and has no trouble connecting to the same network. What could be the problem and any advice on how to fix this issue. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

25-Mar-2012, 10:34 PM #2
open control panel
click internet options
then the connections tab
on the bottom of the tab it should say lan settings.
after you click on that a new window should open.
make sure ONLY "automaticly detect settings" is checked
Try internet again. You may have to restart the machine.
Member with 546 posts.

26-Mar-2012, 08:12 AM #3
Thanks for the reply. I went into IE settings and Automatic detect network settings was not checked. I went ahead and checked it and then restarted the computer, but this did not fix the issue. What else can I try. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

26-Mar-2012, 10:36 AM #4
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

From a Command Prompt, run and post the following:

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Member with 546 posts.

26-Mar-2012, 02:27 PM #5
I will try the following fix with the command Prompt. Does it matter that I will have an internet connection through a LAN connection while doing the commands. I have to access the computer remotely and need an active internet connection. The laptop is connecting to other wireless networks fine, but just won't allow me on the internet on the home wireless network. Appreciate the help. It may take me a few days to do this as the Laptop is my Mother-in Laws. Stay with me and I will update you when I can look at it. Thanks.
Member with 546 posts.

05-Apr-2012, 03:25 PM #6
Sorry for the delay! I went ahead and entered the reset winsock comands and rebooted the machine. I also pinged the two commands you mentioned and neither one of them worked(requested time out) with the wireless saying your connected. They obviously did work when I was plugged into the router with an ethernet cable. Let me know what the next step is. Attached is my IPconfig /all results. Thanks

Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,779 posts.

05-Apr-2012, 03:59 PM #7
Your problem is most like the wireless card. Atheros wireless cards, and especially that model (AR5007EG) has been a thorn in the IT side.

Here is some information from one of our resident Networking member TerryNet and Etaf that may help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
The following was put together mostly by etaf with a little help from me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atheros AR5007EG & AR5007
We have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters for over a year, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and windows Vista.

The adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
--- Please post back here if that
works or does not work.

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver." That apparently has worked for some posters.

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section, as some manufactures, appear to now have a working driver available.
Toshiba - update has worked for some PCs
HP The latest HP Atheros driver dated Sept 2010 has fixed the issue - so check the driver date, However, that does NOT apply to all HPs / Compaqs machines
- the poster did an online scan for driver updates on the HP website here HP Product Detection which resulted in a solution. Solved: Can't connect to internet wirelessly - Atheros AR5007 Wifi through Clear Comm - Tech Support Guy Forums

If you can post the Make and EXACT model of your PC here, along with the windows version you have and we will see if we can find the driver and will post a link as a reply here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) A few posters here with the same issue have found that the driver from this site ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows resolved the issue
Threads are here
Solved: Public Network - Access: Local Only (Please help!) - Tech Support Guy Forums
Solved: NetGear WNDR3700 Incompatibilty W/ Atheros AR5700 - Tech Support Guy Forums
Solved: Local connection only when connected to secured wirless - Tech Support Guy Forums
Solved: Unidentified Network - Tech Support Guy Forums
Unidentified Network

I do NOT know anything about the site mentioned ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows

However, if you do decide to try the driver, Please let us know the outcome

Direct link to the drivers are below
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " click to download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

AR5007
Vista 32 Bit
Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista
Although this driver has shown up in BSODs (Blue Screen Of Death) on Vista SP2 systems, usually conflicting with updated Vista OS drivers like netio.sys, tcpip.sys and other networking related drivers.

AR5007EG
Vista 32 Bit
Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

You might also bug your laptop's tech support about the problem--maybe people can put pressure on Atheros to find a fix.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other question I have is that do yo have a firewall like Norton or McAfee Security?
Member with 546 posts.

05-Apr-2012, 07:22 PM #8
Thanks for the detailed link of possible solutions Via TerryNet. Here are the things we know.

The wireless connection is working on every other wireless access point besides on the E3000 where it is not letting me access the internet. it was also working for 3 years on an Old Linksys 54G router with exactly the same SSID and encryption as I set it up on the E3000. Maybe the encryption before was WPA and now using WPA2 it is not working.

This is what I plan to do:

Update the drivers, change the encryption on the router, use a different router, use a edimax mini USB wireless adapter.

Taking away the encryption - If I did this and it worked then I would need to change the encryption to WEP or plain WPA. The problem is I have another W7 Laptop that works fine and a printer which is set up on those settings for wireless. Therefore it requires me to change a number of things to get it all working. Let me know what order you would do the above steps. Thanks.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

06-Apr-2012, 12:07 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap2587 View Post
Thanks for the detailed link of possible solutions Via TerryNet. Here are the things we know.

The wireless connection is working on every other wireless access point besides on the E3000 where it is not letting me access the internet. it was also working for 3 years on an Old Linksys 54G router with exactly the same SSID and encryption as I set it up on the E3000. Maybe the encryption before was WPA and now using WPA2 it is not working.

This is what I plan to do:

Update the drivers, change the encryption on the router, use a different router, use a edimax mini USB wireless adapter.

Taking away the encryption - If I did this and it worked then I would need to change the encryption to WEP or plain WPA. The problem is I have another W7 Laptop that works fine and a printer which is set up on those settings for wireless. Therefore it requires me to change a number of things to get it all working. Let me know what order you would do the above steps. Thanks.
This may be the problem then. Try a completely different SSID first, then try WPA instead of WPA2.
Member with 546 posts.

12-Apr-2012, 09:21 AM #10
Firstly I tried to disable the encryption and the Laptop did connect. Next I tried to use WPA instead of WP2 and it still would not connect to the Internet. I do not know how the Laptop can connect to WPA on a Linksys WRT54G router and not a Linksys E3000. I then proceeded to install a new wireless card EDIMAX EW-7811Un. This not only connected to the WPA2, but gave a stronger connection speed than the built in Atheros card. I could have tried to update the driver and set the encryption to WEP, but I just wanted to fix the problem without it taking all day. Thanks for your help.

13-Apr-2012, 12:44 AM #11
Well unfortunatley with those built-in ones it does take some troubleshooting... glad you found a resolution
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!