Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to disable Ad-Aware safe browsing in Firefox?

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

13-Apr-2012, 07:28 PM #1
How to disable Ad-Aware safe browsing in Firefox?
I installed Ad-Aware Pro 30 day trial. I enabled safe browsing but it doesn't allow me to open some websites. Ok, perhaps thats the point of safe-browsing but I need to enter those sites. So, I decided to disable it, but I don't know how. I clicked "off" on Ad-Aware's "Home" window, but the sites still not working. Theres a possibility that the websites I'm trying to enter are not going to work after I disable safe-browsing because there's something wrong with internet(I'll open another topic for that). But still, I'd like to see Firefox's "cannot found" window, not Ad-Aware's.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,950 posts.

14-Apr-2012, 06:41 AM #2
dont open a 2nd post - what happens if you remove the program /uninstall the program
Member with 6 posts.

14-Apr-2012, 10:20 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
dont open a 2nd post - what happens if you remove the program /uninstall the program
I don't want to remove the program. Isn't there any way to temporarily disable it?

And I have other problems with internet connection and firewall, can I explain those in this topic? Even though they're not about Ad-Aware?
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2012, 10:23 AM #4
yes

i would uninstall to see if thats causing the issues and then you can always re-install - have you purchased the program ?
Member with 6 posts.

14-Apr-2012, 11:01 AM #5
No, its just free trial.

I opened task manager and killed the process. I think it worked because now I see Firefox's error when I can't connect to a website. Is there any problem with killing the process in Task Manager? I'm asking because I don't know much about it.
If it shows up again, I'll try uninstalling it. But just Safe Browsing, not anti-virus or security toolbar, right?

Now, my other problems. I'm using my dad's laptop(Acer) because my laptop(HP) is broken. But internet connection is kinda slow on this one. I wonder why. There wasn't any problem with HP and I'm connecting to the same network on Acer. I guess its not about connection because when I load a video on YouTube or download something, the speed is really good. But when I open Firefox and try to enter a website, like imdb.com, most of the time it shows "Server not found" screen. I hit Ctrl+r and then it works. I wonder what causes that problem. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium-not sure if it's important but anyway...

By the way, I'm not %100 sure about this but when I use a VPN program I don't get the error. I'm definitely not sure about that. I just tried it, I opened 5-6 websites at the same time in Firefox and all of them worked. Of course I have to try VPN for longer time, because like I said, I'm not sure .

Thanks for the help.
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2012, 10:11 AM #6
ho is you dads acer connected to the router - wire or wireless
Member with 6 posts.

16-Apr-2012, 04:19 PM #7
Wireless.

I have other questions(about firewall, monitoring, hardware...), is it ok if I ask them in this topic? Sorry I still didn't get where I have to write them.
Computer Specs

16-Apr-2012, 04:30 PM #8
yes
post here - if all connected to the same computer
Member with 6 posts.

19-Apr-2012, 05:38 PM #9
I'm temporarily using my dad's laptop. And I'm not sure if firewall is enabled or not. I clicked Control Panel/System and Security/Windows Firewall. But I guess I can't enable it. Windows Firewall window looks like this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/207/firewallu.png/ - I cannot click most of the options.
I translated and searched it in google and found this message: "These settings are being managed by vendor application McAfee Personal Firewall"
Because of that "'!" message, I though McAfee Personal Firewall was enabled, thats why it didn't allow me to change to Windows Firewall. But I clicked Control Panel/System and Security/Solution Center, and there was a warning that says no firewall is enabled. I clicked the warning, there was three options; "Enable Windows Firewall", "Show me firewalls in this computer" and "Get another firewall". When I clicked on "Show me firewalls in this computer", it showed Lavasoft Ad-Aware, McAfee and Windows firewalls as installed firewalls. And all of them were "Disabled/Closed". I selected Windows Firewall and clicked "Open/Enable", nothing happened. I selected McAfee Personal Firewall and clicked "Open/Enable" and there was a warning that I need to activate McAfee in order to enable its firewall. I clicked activate and registered(just name, email and password) and now McAfee works. I'm kinda confused though, because I was trying to enable McAfee before and it wasn't working. I thought someone downloaded it's trial and trial date has expired, that's why I couldn't activate it. But looks like I was wrong. I googled the message above and I think McAfee Firewall comes with Windows 7. So did I activated free trial? I'm sure we did not buy McAfee(and definitely did not download it from web).
Anyways, looks like there's no problem with McAfee Firewall. I guess it's working now but I'm not sure, how can I see which firewall is enabled? And I still can't control Windows Firewall section.
If it's trial version is it ok if I delete McAfee Firewall? Because it won't be working(after date expires) anyway and it doesn't allow me to control Windows Firewall.

We're using the laptop at home right now. But my dad was taking it to the school a few months ago. I think that one of the kids may downloaded some keylogger or something like that. How can I be sure about it? I'm gonna scan the laptop with an anti-virus program and an anti-malware program-I guess both are different things- but if I don't find anything, does it mean the laptop is clean? I know there are some legal monitoring programs, so I wonder if they are counted as "spyware" or not? I mean can anti-virus/malware detect them? How can I know if there's a legal program downloaded in the computer or not?

The laptop is kinda slow. Sometimes, it takes 20 seconds to open Firefox. When I use HP I click Firefox and it opens up immediately, even though we bought HP four years ago, also, there's not much free space in HP. We're not really doing anything else than surfing on web, writing on Microsoft Word, Notepad etc. while using Acer. Most of the time there's no programs running other than Ad-Aware, McAfee, a Notepad and a VPN program. I'm not counting startup programs though... So, I wonder what causes the slowness?
The laptop is Acer Aspire One 753, Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Celeron CPU 1.07 GHz, 2.00 RAM, 64 bit, 99 GB free space. Not sure if that info is necessary or not..

My questions about network are kinda bit weird. Sorry for that. But I'm really confused about networks.
How can I see how many computers using the network I'm connected to?
Is it possible that someone can use my laptop's connection? I'm not asking the network, I'm asking the connection. Ok, I can't even explain what I'm trying to say. But I had to ask it . Just skip that...
If this laptop is connected to a network, like office network or school network or something, and if there's an admin computer which can monitor all the traffic going through this laptop, how can I understand it? Can Malwarebytes or that kind of anti-virus, anti-malware programs detect it? I'm asking this because perhaps my laptop is being monitored this way but I'm not seeing it because its legal? So, how can I know it? If someone adjusted the settings of this computer [to make the computer available for an admin computer to see/monitor it], which settings did he/she changed, where do I have to look to see changed settings?
A few months ago, I was checking my dad's mails. I downloaded an attachment. But the attachment showed up on my sister's laptop. I have no idea how it did happen. It never happened since then. But I still want to find out how it happened. I guess we adjusted the network settings kinda wrong because we connected the laptop(dad's) to the network(home network) just before that happened. But I don't know anything about the settings, so I'm not sure...

Sorry I wrote too long. And I might repeated some questions. But I wanted to describe my problems as best as I can. There must be some grammatical errors, if you don't understand anything please tell me.
Computer Specs

20-Apr-2012, 06:48 AM #10
Quote:
, it showed Lavasoft Ad-Aware, McAfee and Windows firewalls as installed firewalls. And all of them were "Disabled/Closed".
you need to decide to only have 1 firewall and 1 antivirus on the PC

Quote:
I think McAfee Firewall comes with Windows 7. So did I activated free trial? I'm sure we did not buy McAfee(and definitely did not download it from web).
No it does not come with windows 7 - it comes with the PC manufacture - for example HP provide Norton
BUT it will only be the trial version and you will need to pay a subscription depending on how long the trial lasts
Quote:
If it's trial version is it ok if I delete McAfee Firewall? Because it won't be working(after date expires) anyway and it doesn't allow me to control Windows Firewall.
yes but also use the removal tool - as instructed by mcafee - see the link below

Quote:
We're using the laptop at home right now. But my dad was taking it to the school a few months ago. I think that one of the kids may downloaded some keylogger or something like that. How can I be sure about it? I'm gonna scan the laptop with an anti-virus program and an anti-malware program-I guess both are different things- but if I don't find anything, does it mean the laptop is clean? I know there are some legal monitoring programs, so I wonder if they are counted as "spyware" or not? I mean can anti-virus/malware detect them? How can I know if there's a legal program downloaded in the computer or not?
run the scans and also try trend micro online scan http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/ - if it finds anything - then i would suggest you read this link
http://forums.techguy.org/virus-othe...e-posting.html
and post the required logs and we can move to the virus forum

Quote:
How can I see how many computers using the network I'm connected to?
you should be able to see a dhcp table in the router settings - that will list all connected devices
OR
you can try this utility
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireles...k_watcher.html

Quote:
Is it possible that someone can use my laptop's connection? I'm not asking the network, I'm asking the connection. Ok, I can't even explain what I'm trying to say. But I had to ask it . Just skip that..
if they can connect to your wireless connection - then they can use your connection - make sure the router wireless has security set - WPA2 would be good if all the PCs will support that , if not WPA - the way to tell is to set the security password and see if all devices connect with the password ok

Quote:
If this laptop is connected to a network, like office network or school network or something, and if there's an admin computer which can monitor all the traffic going through this laptop, how can I understand it? Can Malwarebytes or that kind of anti-virus, anti-malware programs detect it? I'm asking this because perhaps my laptop is being monitored this way but I'm not seeing it because its legal? So, how can I know it? If someone adjusted the settings of this computer [to make the computer available for an admin computer to see/monitor it], which settings did he/she changed, where do I have to look to see changed settings?
why do you think this - the programs listed will not identify if the PC is being monitored directly - but will find any malware or virus keyloggers etc

Quote:
A few months ago, I was checking my dad's mails. I downloaded an attachment. But the attachment showed up on my sister's laptop. I have no idea how it did happen. It never happened since then. But I still want to find out how it happened. I guess we adjusted the network settings kinda wrong because we connected the laptop(dad's) to the network(home network) just before that happened. But I don't know anything about the settings, so I'm not sure...
unless your sister had her laptop setup to share the harddrive across the network and the attachment was saved onto that share - i have no idea how that happened

Quote:
Sorry I wrote too long. And I might repeated some questions. But I wanted to describe my problems as best as I can. There must be some grammatical errors, if you don't understand anything please tell me.
the style of writing means quite a few members will ignore , as its quite difficult to see what questions you are asking when in in paragraphs
anyway - i have done my best

mcafee and avg removal and alternative antivirus

AVG Removal Tools
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities
--------------------------------------------------------------
Mcafee RemovalTool
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

with windows 7 - you don't need a firewall especially if you are behind a router - have a look at our security section for advice on firewalls - question asked loads of times there

for an antivirus thats free and had good review in the security forum here

Microsoft Security Essentials MSE
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/secur...s/default.aspx

Avast
http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download - to download the file
Registration for an annual key
http://www.avast.com/en-gb/registrat...-antivirus.php

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!