Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need advice on home networking

(!)

Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Apr-2012, 11:52 PM #1
Need advice on home networking
Hi guys, I was just wondering if I could get some advice on what router I should buy if I want to connect a typical USB hard drive to the router for sharing to anyone on the network. I would like one that allows me to the drive in under "Computer" in windows 7, without additional software. I ask for no additional software because I wish to access this with my android tablet.\

I currently own the dlink dir 825 b1, which does have usb support however it requires some additional software to make use of it (the additional software isn't the greatest and it has no linux or android support). As for this NAS, it this just basically a computer connected to the network with ftp enabled? Just in case i messed up my jargon here, is it safe to say that if I wanted to set up an NAS, I would need another computer with an attached hard drive that is connected to the network? Also what steps would have to be taken to make this possible (any links to a good guide is fine, I know I'm asking for alot here). Also what OS would be best to use so that it is compatible with basically every modern platform (xbox(probably requires additional automated software such as vuze), Windows 7, Android)?Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Last edited by Blazixe; 15-Apr-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,829 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Apr-2012, 08:23 AM #2
Quote:
if I want to connect a typical USB hard drive to the router for sharing to anyone on the network.
you will need a router which supports USB drives - looking at the spec on that router looks like a USB connection to the router - rather than sharing a HDD

OR you could set up a NAS

most manufacturers have this type of router available
belkin, linksys , netgear

not sure what is available in canada

do you already have a modem
are you on cable or dsl

I have a linksys wag320N - but quite old now and will not dual broadcast on both 2.4 and 5 channels

NOT A recommendation just a list
heres a belkin
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=474683
heres a linksys
http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-eu/s.../routers/E4200
Heres netgear
http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/readyshare.aspx

Last edited by etaf; 15-Apr-2012 at 10:54 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 3,214 posts.

15-Apr-2012, 10:10 AM #3
Your router is supported by DD-WRT firmware, if that's something you'd consider.

It may add functionality you're looking for.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hard drive, network, router, tablet, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!