Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Collision/Broadcast domains

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Apr-2012, 11:31 PM #1
Collision/Broadcast domains
Ok, this is going to sound like homework, but I promise you it's not. It's actually a question from an exam I had the other afternoon, that I had very much difficulty in answering.
So, we were told to design a small network that has 1 router, at least 1 switch, and at least 1 hub. Easy enough, but the limitation was that there had to be 4 broadcast domains and 2 collision domains at most. A further limitations was a minimum of two hosts per broadcast domain.
I sat there for a while and pondered this, then decided to argue that it's not possible to design this (at least with the knowledge we have from this subject). Am I completely wrong (I feel like I'm wrong) or can this actually not be designed?
One thing that confirmed by point was that we had to fill out a switching table using one switch from our design. But the diagram had 3 slots to put host details in. To me, that says there's gunna be 3 collision domains right there, surpassing the limit.

Any help woul be appreciated!
Cheers,
Kumalh.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
broadcast domain, collision domain, networking

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!