Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

why is my internet speed so slow when i have full signal and flatmates is fast?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

21-Apr-2012, 04:42 PM #1
Angry why is my internet speed so slow when i have full signal and flatmates is fast?
I've recently got a new laptop because my old one broke. the internet speed on my old one was completely fine, but my new laptop is ridiculously slow. it barely loads youtube videos or facebook photos and takes a long time to go from page to page. i have a wireless connection with virgin broadband, paying for 100mb speed, so i dont see why it would run slow. all my flatmates laptops are running as normal and im the closest to the router! its a new laptop, samsung with an intel core i5 processor and windows 7.

any help appreciated. its so frustrating have an older laptop thats internet speed was faster than a new one!!

ive taken it into and its the same there. very slow loading, half the time the pages wont. ive tried streaming things at like 4 in the morning but same story. sometimes it loads, sometimes it doesnt.

my flatmate in the next room has a perfectly fast running internet connection

i have no apps running apart from google chrome
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,041 posts.

21-Apr-2012, 05:42 PM #2
How does it work with an ethernet connection?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. If it is an integrated adapter get the driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

What security application(s)?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet, slow, speed

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!