Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Extremely high ping on just one computer

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-May-2012, 03:44 AM #16
What about this site
www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

Are the results different? Speedtest.net is java based, and in my experience is a wonky site. I have had many clients where I have had issues with poor test results on that page. Not on others. Another way to test ping is thru cmd while pinging a server over a long period of time. Try this instead, in cmd type

ping -n 1000 google.com

Look at the ping response times over a 1000x test and take a median. DO NOT trust speedtest.net for consistency.
Member with 2 posts.

07-May-2012, 10:31 AM #17
Last night I noticed that if I disabled all of my antivirus features (BitDefender) like firewall and real time protection it had no effect however, somehow my antivirus crashed and I had a chance to test speedtest and the difference was huge, I finally got the reults expected, 40 ms, 4 mbps download and 0.70 mbps upload. Ping dropped from 2,000 ms to 40 ms. [deleted by mod]

I guess I'll have to check with my antivirus support or even install other antivirus.

Thanks

Last edited by TerryNet; 07-May-2012 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: remove profanity
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
networking, slow broadband

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!