Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Old Router as Switch - can no longer hit admin page

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Apr-2012, 06:11 AM #1
Solved: Old Router as Switch - can no longer hit admin page
Hi,

I have a BT Broadband Homehub modem/router/residential gateway (192.168.1.254) – yesterday I configured an unused Belkin N150 wireless router as an additional switch (disabled DHCP and assigned ip within primary router’s subnet but not in DHCP range). All works fine, other than I can no longer hit the Belkin's admin page (192.168.1.253), browser just times out.

I am, however, able to ping it and get a response... Equally, if I connect directly to the Belkin and do an ipconfig I can see the default gateway as 192.168.1.253 but I still cannot hit the admin page.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ross

Last edited by oldsch00l; 30-Apr-2012 at 06:56 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,379 posts.

30-Apr-2012, 09:31 AM #2
With the Belkin routers that I have seen you can set it to "AP Mode" and just connect it by WAN (Modem) port to the primary router and it acts as a switch.

Quote:
... assigned ip within primary router’s subnet but not in DHCP range ...
That's the Belkin's LAN IP right? And you connected the primary router to a Belkin LAN port, right?

Quote:
if I connect directly to the Belkin and do an ipconfig I can see the default gateway as 192.168.1.253
Default Gateway with Dhcp server disabled?????
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Apr-2012, 09:44 AM #3
Thanks Terry, you're quite right that there is an AP mode on the Belkin - which, as I understand it, bypasses the routing/firewall functions and allows you to assign an ip. I was just trying to follow the 'standard' method for utilising a router as a switch but will give that a bash tonight and see how it goes.

Quote:
That's the Belkin's LAN IP right? And you connected the primary router to a Belkin LAN port, right?
Yes on both counts, 192.168.1.253 is the IP I assigned to the Belkin and the two devices are connected by their respective LAN ports (via a pair of 'homeplugs').

Quote:
Default Gateway with Dhcp server disabled?????
Sorry, my bad. What I meant is that I can see from ipconfig results that the Belkin has the expected ip address.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,379 posts.

30-Apr-2012, 12:11 PM #4
Quote:
What I meant is that I can see from ipconfig results that the Belkin has the expected ip address.
If the Belkin is properly working as a switch your ipconfig should show no hint of the Belkin's IP address. Your ipconfig should look exactly the same as if you had connected directly to the primary router.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
access point, belkin, homehub, router, switch

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!