Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Who is using my wireless router?

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

02-May-2012, 10:54 PM #1
Who is using my wireless router?
I have a BT Home Hub 3 and using the Home Hub manager I can see who is logged on to it. Recently, I have been seeing another PC name. It's not mine, it's not the kid's laptops and it's not their Wii or Playstation. Is this someone using my broadband? If so, how could they have gotten my router key/password and how can I tell from which direction they are? (This will tell me who it is as there are only 3 houses, south, east and west of me)
Member with 133 posts.

Experience: MCDST, MCP, A+
03-May-2012, 04:12 PM #2
Could it be your mobile phone?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,413 posts.

03-May-2012, 07:49 PM #3
Quote:
how could they have gotten my router key/password
If WEP by cracking it (takes as little as a few minutes).

If guessable, by guessing it.

If WPA and a dictionary word for a passphrase by a dictionary attack.
Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-May-2012, 07:12 AM #4
You may not have had you key hacked it may be that you have Bt Open Zone active allowing any other Bt users to use your HomeHub if they are in range. You turn it off and opt out of this service, it may take 24 hours to turn off after filling out the online form. I think Bt Open Zone is on by default with every BtHub.
I hope you haven't had you router hacked but if your router has been hacked just reset the router to default settings and change the wireless key remember to make the password something like this A&bL0&.|$cG=? useing upper lower case numbers and signs. The longer and more complex you make it the harder it will be for them to crack. Oh and when you reset the router to default it turns on Bt Open Zone again so you have to turn it off again.
Hope this is useful to you good luck.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!