Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't share files between Win7 and WinXP

(!)

Member with 224 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-May-2012, 07:42 PM #16
On the main computer, in

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings - Home or Work

the following settings are selected:

Turn on network discovery
Turn on file and printer sharing
Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders
Use 128-bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections
Turn off password protected sharing
Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections
Member with 224 posts.

23-May-2012, 07:43 PM #17
On the main computer, in

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings - Public

the following settings are selected:

Turn on network discovery
Turn on file and printer sharing
Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders
Use 128-bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections
Turn off password protected sharing
Member with 224 posts.

23-May-2012, 07:49 PM #18
I checked the folder I tried to access from the TV computer - Properties - Sharing tab - and the folder is shared. However, if I right-click on the folder and choose Share With, a pop-up menu appears w/ a padlock symbol next to "Nobody". I try to select "Homegroup (Read/Write)", but the padlock symbol is still next to "Nobody". Does that mean that the folder is locked somehow so that Nobody can access it?

Also, is it possible that the TV computer (which is old) doesn't support 128-bit encryption?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,851 posts.

24-May-2012, 11:08 AM #19
Quote:
but the padlock symbol is still next to "Nobody". Does that mean that the folder is locked somehow so that Nobody can access it?
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean--I see it on my shared folders and on my non-shared folders. When you click on "Specific people..." with whom is it shared?
Member with 224 posts.

24-May-2012, 07:44 PM #20
When I click on Specific People, it shows that the Homegroup has read/write permission, and the user account on the main computer is listed as the owner.

I think maybe the lock symbol means that if u select Nobody, then the folder is locked -- and nobody on a networked computer can access it.
Member with 224 posts.

24-May-2012, 07:50 PM #21
Another thing I noticed that may provide some insight is that the main computer can't see the TV computer at all, unless I do Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK. The TV computer doesn't show up in the homegroup when I look at the homegroup on the main computer. Since the TV computer doesn't seem to be part of the homegroup, that might explain why it is denied access to shared folders on the main computer. Of course, the question then becomes, how do I make the TV computer part of the homegroup??
Computer Specs

24-May-2012, 08:38 PM #22
Quote:
how do I make the TV computer part of the homegroup??
Only by installing Windows 7, as Windows 7 is the only system with Homegroups.

Quote:
... and the user account on the main computer is listed as the owner.
Add "Everyone" and your problem may be solved.

Does the XP computer show up in the Network folder on the Windows 7?
Member with 224 posts.

25-May-2012, 01:17 PM #23
Quote:
Add "Everyone" and your problem may be solved.
IT WORKED!! Just to be clear, I right-clicked on the folder to be shared, selected Share with -- Specific people... Then I manually typed in "Everyone" and hit Add.

It seems so simple now... but what a PITA to get to this point! I think part of the confusion was that I had already shared the root of the drive w/ Everyone, but Windows doesn't like to share the root. It's also strange that u would have to manually type in Everyone, and that Windows knows that it doesn't refer to a specific user.

Oh yeah, the XP computer does show up on the Win7 machine's Network folder.

Terry, I really appreciate your help on this, and not giving up on this long and arduous process. Who knows how long it would have taken to figure this out w/o your help!
Computer Specs

25-May-2012, 01:37 PM #24
You're welcome. Glad we finally found something that works.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!