Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No Internet Access

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

21-May-2012, 07:27 PM #1
No Internet Access
I have a Time Warner service cable modem and a NETGEAR - RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router (bought this about 3 months ago). I did not have a problem with the wireless internet until three weeks ago. Since then, everyday I randomly get the No Internet access problem (about three times a day). The wireless seems connected, with all its bar signals, but the Internet does not work.
I had a technician come over, who moved me up in the cable box connections since apparently I was way down and getting a poor signal. This did not solve the issue. Everytime I get disconnected, I have to power cycle (turn off everything, turn on modem wait a couple of minutes, turn on router wait a couple of minutes, and turn on laptop). This usually does the trick, but it is very upsetting to be losing the signal so many times a day for no apparent reason. When I connect the laptop directly to the modem there is no problem with the Internet.
Do you have any idea of what may be causing the problem and how to solve this?
Member with 6 posts.

21-May-2012, 08:24 PM #2
Sup moreletti, seems that something has changed in the last 3 weeks that has effected your laptops ability to receive a consistent signal from the wireless access point. You say that when you plug the laptop directly into the modem, the problem disappears. Have you moved the WAP to a diiferent position than it was before? Have you placed any radio wave emitting equipment in the immediate vicinity? Are you using different appliances (microwave ovens, etc) that may be causing interference? Check those times when you are receiving a good signal and compare them to periods where you have poor or no connectivity and note where your laptop and WAP are and what other equipment is operating that could be causing a problem.
Member with 2 posts.

21-May-2012, 08:32 PM #3
Hey Ivana,

Thanks for the response. The only new equipment I have is a small fishtank with no other electrical devices than a small led lamp. The problem seems to strengthen when I move to my room (I live in a small apartment). I will move the router and modem to a new place to see if the problem persists.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connectivity, internet, router

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!