Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cloud? Carbonite? Virtual Machine? Confused!!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-May-2012, 03:27 PM #1
Red face Cloud? Carbonite? Virtual Machine? Confused!!!
This is my first post here, so I hope I have all the info needed to answer. When I Google for info I am overwhelmed and don't know how to sort through all the info. My few MobileMe files need to be moved to something else by the end of June. Although I haven't use MobileMe very much, I'd like to expand on a cloud/whatever to also have a backup that is automatically updated when files are updated, etc. My files include documents, pictures, and some video. The perfect scenario would be to be able to connect, pull up and use any file/pic/etc from one place, save and automatically backup changes, and shut down. I may be talking about 2 different types of services, cloud and virtual backup

We have 4 PCs (25 yrs, both XP and WIndows 7), iMac, and MacBook Air (1yr, my primary computers now, OS X Snow Leopard). Most of my PC files are on a machine with XP, but would be happy with Mac files accessible since I always have my MacBook Air at work/school/wherever with me.

What works best for both a backup and being able to access files. I also have webspace available if that can be utilized somehow.

Thanks for any input!
Vannilee
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-May-2012, 04:01 PM #2
Sounds like you're looking for something like Dropbox or Google Drive (haven't checked on cross-platform compatibility) where you set up a special synchronization folder on each PC and the cloud portion of the connection keeps all the folders across however many systems they are on in sync. The limit is 2-5 gigs for free, pay for more storage.

There are also static online storage/access solutions like SkyDrive and ADrive, which offers a whopping 50 gigs for free, but the administration is a bit cumbersome compared to Dropbox or Google Drive, since you need to access and update files from each system manually unless you go with some of the premium features support.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

22-May-2012, 04:05 PM #3
I have no clue what's best, or even if there objectively is a best. I use SugarSync to sync files across three Windows computers and, as a side effect for me, that gives me a cloud backup and access to my files from any browser (or I guess some apps) any time anywhere. I think those features are what you are requesting.

When I started several years ago it seemed to be the least expensive and adequate for my needs. There is now a free 5 GB service, and also lots of competitors both free and for pay.

22-May-2012, 04:06 PM #4
Terry, you ever use SyncToy? I've been using that for years, but always looking for alternatives. Kicker is SyncToy is still free.....dunno about sugarsync.....but it does look promising.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

22-May-2012, 04:14 PM #5
I never tried SyncToy. A characteristic of my usage is that most of the time I have only one computer on at a time, which makes SyncToy not too attractive for me. And with SugarSync (and many others of course) I like the fact that if I'm using one of my laptops away from the house and add/modify a file I can forget about it then--the file will be backed up if and when I have internet access, and eventually all my computers will be updated.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-May-2012, 07:17 PM #6
Yes 5 gigs seems to be the new free entry level now, dropbox is going to have to respond or get left behind. It sure looks like Microsoft is planning on something very similar since they reduced SkyDrive to 7 gigs unless you're grandfathered in, then you can upgrade to the long-standing 25 gigs for free. Haven't tried the app. myself, but there is cross-platform support. /www.http:/makeuseof.com/tag/microsoft-releases-skydrive-desktop-app-updates-mobiles-apps-updates/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cloud computing, mac, virtual device backup

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!