Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No Connection to Internet, but Connection to Router

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Jun-2012, 06:24 PM #1
Question No Connection to Internet, but Connection to Router
Hello and good evening,

I literally just got my hp 2000-410US notebook pc laptop and I just connected it to my Belkin router. For some reason, my new laptop would not connect to the internet even though I am connected to the router. I have another laptop which is a hp G42-410us notebook pc but it connects perfectly. I already set up my settings for the new laptop but I am not sure if I missed something during the setup that allows me to use the internet. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,994 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 06:46 PM #2
By "connected it to ... router" you mean that you can ping the router or access its configuration pages, right?

By "would not connect to the internet" you mean that you cannot ping a web site by IP address, right?
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 06:54 PM #3
I am wirelessly connected to my router but I cannot connect to the internet. When the connection is highlighted, it says no internet access. I do not know how to "ping" the website unless you mean type in its name within the browser's adress bar thing
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,994 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 11:11 AM #4
Do you get internet access with an ethernet connection?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 11:15 AM #5
I just recently tried downloading the router's software, that is on a belkin cd, onto my new laptop. It immediately helped big time and I was finally able to connect to the internet. However, about an hour later the connection to the internet was lost, then the connection to the router was lost, and finally the ability to find the signal to other networks was lost. What did I do wrong? Is it a virus just because I didnt sign up for the norton protection plan?
Member with 53 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 12:13 AM #6
What if you take it to a Coffee Bean or some where with free wireless and see if it connects.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connection to router, hp 2000-410 us, laptop, no internet connection

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!