Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Missing linksys router setup cd

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jun-2012, 07:04 PM #1
Missing linksys router setup cd
I have a new laptop, an HP 2000, with windows 7. My setup CD is 500 miles away buried in boxes in storage, and both the other computers I had the router on before have died..and I need to go wireless tomorrow. I have a Cisco linksys router with no CD. I followed some steps posted in another closed thread but the password for the IP page was not accepted, and there is no username. Is this info outdated? What can I do to solve this? I need to go wireless ASAP. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
09-Jun-2012, 07:09 PM #2
You're better off without it. No setup is really needed.

If you haven't changed the password, it should be the default. But you can reset the router.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 07:25 PM #3
I don't understand. How do I not do setup? Just plug everything in and it works? If so, then how do I reset the password? I know nothing.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 07:28 PM #4
By the way, I am on remote satellite internet, with xplornet.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 08:26 PM #5
I am having a terrible time. I have fiddled with this router for hours and have managed to set up another network, a wireless one, but the old network (that I don't have the password for because it is on the old computer that blew up) keeps showing up in the wireless list even though I deleted it from my preferred list thingy. My new network doesn'tr show in the list, just the old one. I clicked on the old one as it was there in the preferred netowrk list, but not the available list, and it asked me for the password, so I typed it in, but it would not connect. Also, I have the satellite modem plugged into the router, then the router into the laptop. Something isn't right. Do I need another computer? Should I not be able to simply connect to the wireless router remotely, with my sinbgle computer? Do I have to have two computers to go wireless with my laptop on my explornet satellite connection? This is upsetting because I can't get past this problem.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jun-2012, 09:05 PM #6
Go here and see if you can download the connection software for your model. I've worked on a few cheapo models, E2000 for one and they absolutely won't connect on their own, I think it has to do with the WPS protocol messing things up...good thing it was shaped a little like a Frisbee; I got some gooood distance on one!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,235 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 09:05 PM #7
You should be able to find the router's user guide on Linksys's web site.

Reset the router to factory default settings.

Unplug modem and router and shut down computer. Connect modem to router's WAN port and a computer to a router LAN port. Plug in modem. Plug in router. Boot computer. You should now have internet access and be able to login to the router and configure the wireless as desired.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 10:58 PM #8
Connected..but...
I realized there was a special way I had to reset the router, but had only tried just unplugging and plugging it back in again..which didn't work. The reset button was hidden, and I used a pen to push it in and it then sent me through the correct procedure, which it had not been doing up to that point. I am now wireless. YAY!!!!! Thank you, you wonderful techies!!! I really appreciate your help. As soon as I get a credit card I'm going to donate to this site. It is wicked!

Now I have one teensy weensy other question. It gave me a very long impossible to remember security code. Is there some way I can create my own, or is that impossible?

Ok, one more question: How can I increase the range on my wireless capabilities? I'd like to go down the road and use it?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,235 posts.

10-Jun-2012, 07:46 AM #9
Quote:
It gave me a very long impossible to remember security code. Is there some way I can create my own, or is that impossible?
Doesn't the user manual cover that? I don't want to say "yes" because I don't know what model you have and there may be some strange model that that does not allow the owner to have that control.

Quote:
How can I increase the range on my wireless capabilities?
802.11n, if you don't already have it, and high gain and/or directional antenna are some ways.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

10-Jun-2012, 08:24 AM #10
Generally under Wireless Settings, Security.
If you don't have a User Guide you can download it.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support

Type in the Model of your router.. Click the search button.
Click the Downloads tab.
Select the Version number for your Model
Select User Guide.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cisco, linksys, router, setup, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!