Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Adding a wireless router to a homeplug

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Jun-2012, 01:54 PM #1
Adding a wireless router to a homeplug
Hi

I have a Virgin Superhub going into a Solwise 200 homeplug and another homeplug in my office as the witless Internet was weak. I wanted better wireless in the office so that my Kodak Hero 7.1 and laptop and iPads etc would have better connection so I added a Netgear 300N router and all is good and signal strength is excellent......

However, that wireless network has a different name to the wireless network in the lounge fed by the Virgin Superhub and I have to sign in the iPad each time I switch areas. Not a massive PITA but still a PITA. Is there a way to have the Netgear router on the same network to avoid this hassle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,456 posts.

17-Jun-2012, 05:47 PM #2
If you want the wireless networks to have the same SSID you can assign them both the same (and the same encryption type and same encryption key).

If you want the Netgear router to be on the same LAN (instead of performing as a router) ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that a Windows PC will always connect to the stronger signal, and I don't know about an iPad.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
homeplug, netgear, solwise, wireless access point

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!