Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Speed Issues

(!)

Member with 25 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jun-2012, 01:12 AM #1
Exclamation Internet Speed Issues
Hello everyone, I've been dealing with these internet speed problems for months with my ISP, and they just can't seem to figure out what's wrong (that or they aren't actually doing anything they are saying they are doing).

First I'll start off with my speed that I am supposed to be getting which is about 300-400 KB/s DL and somewhere along the lines of 50-100 KB/s UP. I have DSL so it's not the best thing in the world but it's all that is offered where I live (town of 300 people) and it at least is fast enough to play online games, buffer videos, and all that when it is actually properly working. However my internet has not been properly working for months and neither I or my ISP can apparently figure out what the problem is.

Basically during the day my internet speed takes a huge hit. My ping skyrockets up to areas around 250-600 when it's usually in the range of 20-100, and I can't download over 110 KB/s (don't even ask about upload). I've called my ISP about this issue around 15 times, literally. The strange thing about it is, the internet seems to clear up from really late hours such as 12:30 AM to 5:00-7:00 AM.

I've had an internet technician come out to test the lines to the house and apparently they are working fine, and I've had my router replaced around two times since this started happening. I've also had the splitter (for the phone and internet to work simultaneously) replaced as well. The only thing I don't have replaced is the filter, but I have a feeling that it won't fix the issue replacing it, even though there is a guy coming out Tuesday to do so, as everything else they have done has failed.

I kind of wonder if it is a problem with the lines or something on my end, but why would the internet get better during the late hours at night if it was on my end, would it not be a constant problem if this were the case? I could understand fluctuations, but not it completely improving during specific hours of the day.

My computer is NOT the problem and I know this for a fact so I'm not even going to go there with this, it happens on any computer in the house.

I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice and insight in to the issue. I've been having this issue for months and I'm sick of it, I just want my damn internet to work again. If you are specifically curious about what has been done to try to fix this issue go ahead and post the question and I'll try to answer the question as well as I can.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,041 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 04:54 PM #2
Have you tried with a computer connected directly to the modem (if you have separate modem and router)? If you have a NID outside have you tried connecting your modem there to eliminate internal wiring and filters?

Cable internet access can be slower during the evening or during the day because of increased usage in the neighborhood, but DSL is not supposed to be affected that way--you have a direct non-shared line to the Central Office. Nonetheless, your ISP could be suffering some type of traffic congestion.

But my top suspect is that something is not operating properly when it gets above a certain temperature, and it is above that temperature except late at night. That "something" could be your modem or router, but is probably some piece of telco equipment between the CO and your residence.
Member with 25 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 05:43 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Have you tried with a computer connected directly to the modem (if you have separate modem and router)? If you have a NID outside have you tried connecting your modem there to eliminate internal wiring and filters?

Cable internet access can be slower during the evening or during the day because of increased usage in the neighborhood, but DSL is not supposed to be affected that way--you have a direct non-shared line to the Central Office. Nonetheless, your ISP could be suffering some type of traffic congestion.

But my top suspect is that something is not operating properly when it gets above a certain temperature, and it is above that temperature except late at night. That "something" could be your modem or router, but is probably some piece of telco equipment between the CO and your residence.
I'm pretty computer literate but I don't know much stuff about internet equipment and how all that works so what exactly is the NID? Would that be the box that's on the phone pole or something else?

Yeah I've contacted them about congestion, they said that they have tested the line and whatnot and it works well during the day for THEM, and I do believe they have checked for congestion issues as well and nothing else seemed to come up for them. I'm like the only person on the line I guess in this general area.

If it is a piece of telco equipment, would that mean they would have to fix it and it is out of my reach?
Computer Specs

25-Jun-2012, 05:57 PM #4
Sorry, NID is Network interface device.

Quote:
If it is a piece of telco equipment, would that mean they would have to fix it and it is out of my reach?
Yes.
Member with 25 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 06:09 PM #5
Quote:
Alright so how exactly would I connect directly to that?

Quote:
Yes.
Ah, that's what I figured.

Last edited by Sikktwizted; 25-Jun-2012 at 06:28 PM..
Computer Specs

26-Jun-2012, 08:58 AM #6
Quote:
Alright so how exactly would I connect directly to that?
When you open up the customer access, if you have a home with just one or two lines, it's pretty obvious. If you are in, say, an apartment buiilding unless the connections are well labelled probably better to not mess with it.
Member with 25 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 04:11 PM #7
Quote:
When you open up the customer access, if you have a home with just one or two lines, it's pretty obvious. If you are in, say, an apartment buiilding unless the connections are well labelled probably better to not mess with it.
Alright well the technician came and replaced the filters and everything appears to be working again! I guess that was in fact the problem. After all these months they couldn't think to do that.
Computer Specs

26-Jun-2012, 04:18 PM #8
Glad they finally got it fixed for you.

Now you know why it's important to do as much trouble shooting as you can to help narrow the possible causes.
Member with 25 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 04:49 PM #9
Yeah very true man, thanks a lot for the help!
Computer Specs

26-Jun-2012, 04:51 PM #10
You're welcome.
Member with 25 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 07:59 PM #11
Quote:
You're welcome.
Ok well actually it has started doing it again. Was working great for a while then this started happening again. I really honestly have no clue what to do, they won't fix their problem -.-....
Member with 25 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 08:25 PM #12
Alright well I'm learning now after talking to technical support for the 17th time that this may be a congestion issue, and they are trying to tell me it can't be fixed, is that true?

Edit: They are making us pay for an inside wire plan to replace the wire to see if that is the issue when I haven't even had the service they are making us pay for for around 3-4 months. This is ridiculous, I'm not sure if it could be the wires.

Last edited by Sikktwizted; 26-Jun-2012 at 10:14 PM..
Computer Specs

26-Jun-2012, 10:20 PM #13
I'm guessing this means you don't have a NID where you can test.
Member with 25 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 10:34 PM #14
Quote:
I'm guessing this means you don't have a NID where you can test.
Yes I think so but I'm pretty sure the guy checked that and he said it was either congestion issues or a problem with the inside wiring.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connection, internet, issue, problem, speed

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!