Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem with IP address(es)

(!)

Member with 22 posts.

Experience: H A C K E R
26-Jun-2012, 04:45 PM #1
Arrow Problem with IP address(es)
So my computer is a desktop and its on wireless. My brothers is a wired connection.
We are on the same network and I was setting up a perfectly legitimate remote access server on my computer, so I checked my external WAN ip and it came out to be 76.69.151.###
Directly afterwards, i checked his external IP. For some reason, both external WAN Ip's are the same. How Can I fix this TECHGUY :C
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,150 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 04:54 PM #2
What are you trying to fix? You are probably both connected to the internet through the same router. If you want different public IP addresses you need different ISP contracts or pay an ISP extra for multiple IP addresses.
Member with 22 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 11:13 AM #3
I thought every computer was supposed to have its own IP address?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,150 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 11:51 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by havikryan View Post
I thought every computer was supposed to have its own IP address?
Mostly true. The IP address must be unique on the network, but your and my and millions of other computers may have the same IP address (mine is currently 192.168.2.5) since we are on different private (LAN) networks. Assuming that you have a router and multiple computers connected to it each of those computers will have a unique (to that LAN) private IP address. The router's WAN will have a unique public IP address.
Trusted Advisor with 30,855 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 01:41 PM #5
What is your modem?
Member with 22 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 08:51 PM #6
TL-WR841N < is my router.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,855 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 06:24 PM #7
I re-read your post and I realized I was not on the same page. Indeed any computer connected to your router will have the same routable IP (the public IP addres you posted) because your router is the one that has that information.

If you are having issues with your Remote Access server, then you may need to do some portforwarding, otherwise if the issue was that you saw both computers with the same WAN IP, then that's normal.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
computer, network, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!