Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help with HP laserjet 1320 on Network

(!)

Member with 13 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 05:59 PM #1
Help with HP laserjet 1320 on Network
I am glad to find this board as it looks like you've solved similar problems. In short, I just added a windows 7 64bit computer to my 5 computer work network. The hp 1320 was working with an xp computer. I installed the hp computer and it found a driver called 1320 HCL 5 for the win7 computer. When I tried to access an xp laptop, it said it couldn't find a driver. I led it to the 1320 HCL 6 driver on the xp computer. It said it needed a NTPrint.ini file. I located the file and led it to the file. Then it couldn't find the driver. So I decided to open a local port so that the xp could use it's own software. The computer connected to the printer but it won't print. It has a sub spooling problem. So I went back to the drawing board and downloaded the 1320 HCL 5 Universal Driver, thinking maybe it didn't like the number change and when it asked for a driver, I led it to the win xp driver on a disk I had downloaded. Then I got the message that it couldn't find the hpb41035l.ini file.

So I am looking for a solution either to the spooling problem on the open port I created or to fix the ini file problem I have when trying to add the printer from the win7 machine.

I have spent 4 days on this. I am about to buy another, later version hp printer which has no problem working on both systems. But it makes me furious that hp and windows can't make this any easier.

If you can help, I would be eternally grateful.

Wiry
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,962 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 09:28 PM #2
According to the HP information I found the driver for the HP Lazerjet 1320 printer is included in Windows. Did you try that before trying other drivers or methods?
Member with 13 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 08:14 AM #3
Yes, it loaded automatically onto the new HP Win7 machine as soon as it was connected. I'm not having a problem with the Win7 machine. But the new driver on the Win7, doesn't have the NTPRINT.ini file that the xp needs. When I direct the install to the xp version of the driver on the xp, it still doesn't find the ntprint.ini. File. The file is in the C" directory and when I direct the install to the NTPRINT.ini file it can't find the rest of the driver. So around I go.
Member with 13 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 08:15 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiry View Post
Yes, it loaded automatically onto the new HP Win7 machine as soon as it was connected. I'm not having a problem with the Win7 machine. But the new driver on the Win7, doesn't have the NTPRINT.ini file that the xp needs. When I direct the install to the xp version of the driver on the xp, it still doesn't find the ntprint.ini. File. The file is in the C" directory and when I direct the install to the NTPRINT.ini file it can't find the rest of the driver. So around I go. I'm speaking of the networking problem.
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2012, 10:45 AM #5
Guess I completely misunderstood. Thought the printer was already installed on the XP machine. Anyhow, don't know if the XP is 32- or 643-bit, but the driver can be obtained here.
Member with 13 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 02:44 PM #6
I have both drivers.
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2012, 03:19 PM #7
Since I'm still having trouble understanding the issue and nobody else has chimed in yet, please give specifics. Is the printer connected by USB to the Windows 7? Or to the XP? Or to a different computer? What exactly is and is not working properly?
Member with 13 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 07:15 PM #8
Terry, most of this is in my first post, but here it is again. The HP 1320 printer is attached to an HP 64bit computer (new). In the past, it was attached to a 32bit winxp laptop and desktop and both networked perfectly. So after I attached the printer to the 64 bit win7, I attempted to add a network printer to the xp (which had the driver for the printer already.). Windows chose a 1320 HCL5 64 bit driver. The xp driver was 1320 HCL6. So when it didn't work, I thought maybe it was a name problem. So I downloaded a 1320 HCL5 32 bit driver and that wouldn't work either. I kept getting a message in the first case that it needed a NTPRINT.ini file. And in the second case, that it needed an hpbu10351.ini file. When I located the NTPrint.ini file for the installation and chose it instead of the driver, it said it needed the driver. So I copied the ntprint.ini file into the same folder with the driver but it still wouldn't find it. So. Giving up on adding a network printer, I tried to open a port so that the xp 32 bit would use it's own software. I got the printers to talk but not print. The xp got a sub spooling error when I tried to print. When I looked at the print jobs of the Win7 64bit, it had the job with the message "spooling" next to it and it wouldn't print. So there am I, really tired of the whole damn thing. Wiry I am thinking of changing the 64bit to a 1320 HCL 5 Universal Driver and see if that works. What do you think? Any ideas? The reason I came to this board was that a Canon printer had a similar problem that came up in a google search a couple of years ago. It led me to this board. Wiry
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2012, 08:02 PM #9
You've shared the printer on the Windows 7, right?

Don't know why all the trouble happened. On the XP I would delete/remove any and all instances of the printer. Then find it in My Network Places, right click on it, and try to "Connect."
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,896 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 08:46 PM #10
The reason I came to this board was that a Canon printer had a similar problem that came up in a google search a couple of years ago. It led me to this board.

Well each issue may not be solved with the same answer, especially since you have a different printer OEM.

What I tend to do is install all the drivers on the host machine (in your case the Windows 7) and then when you try to connect to it through the network, it would pull the driver from there.
Member with 13 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 09:06 PM #11
Right. I would install the 86 driver on the host machine. Except it won't let it. It won't accept the 32 bit driver. It says it's not right for the machine.

Yes, I shared all the printers.

I think I will try installing the universal driver on the host machine. xp machine won't be back to me until tomorrow night.

I'll let you know if I solve the problem.

I think the Canon printer somehow figured out how to get the ini file accepted by the host printer. I'll go back and reread that whole sequence. I printed it out. I think they also changed the registry. I think it's more prudent to just buy a printer that was released after Win 7 64 bit existed.

Thanks, Terry. I appreciate you trying.

Wiry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!