Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless Modem Combo to Router?

(!)

Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jun-2012, 05:38 PM #1
Exclamation Wireless Modem Combo to Router?
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my Internet because I needed the upload to stream on Justin.tv, my ISP sent me a new wireless docsis3 modem. I figured since it was wireless I didn't need my router but now my wireless keeps dropping ALL the time for like 5 to 10 minutes at a time then comes back.

Is it possible for me to disable the wireless in my modem and connect the modem to my router (it's an almost brand new Netgear) I need the more ethernet ports anyway.

Also, do you guys recommend I buy my own docsis3 modem? I know my friend kept having Internet dropping issues and he had to buy his own to fix it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 09:15 PM #2
Yes, you can disable the wireless in the modem/router combo. Or you could try to determine why the wireless is having problems. Have you checked for wireless interference from other networks?
Member with 8 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 10:16 PM #3
I don't know how to do that but I did have a tech guy from my ISP out here because the Internet kept dropping and she was 100% sure she fixed it. She fixed the Internet dropping from my PC (connected) but the wireless still drops.
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2012, 10:18 AM #4
With a Windows computer with wireless capability ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.
Member with 8 posts.

19-Jul-2012, 10:48 PM #5
Is this what you're looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless Modem Combo to Router?-capture.png  
Computer Specs

20-Jul-2012, 11:47 AM #6
That's part of it. There's a small possibility of wireless interference so try channel 11.

See if running w/o encryption helps. If so, then try WPA-PSK instead of WPA2.
Member with 8 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 04:10 PM #7
Alright, I switched it to channel 11 and it felt like it wasn't dropping as much. Then I started to think it was just an issue with my iPhone but then my mum came over and it kept dropping on her laptop also. You can be literally next to the modem/router and the signal will just drop.

Before I used a Netgear router and I could go outside and still have a strong signal. So it's possible for me to disable the wireless in my modem and connect it to the Netgear router? My ISP sent me this Cisco modem/router combination because I upgraded to a high upload connect because I stream a lot or would it be in my best interest to go out and buy a new modem that isn't a wireless combination.

Last edited by Mianna; 24-Jul-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Computer Specs

24-Jul-2012, 04:38 PM #8
Quote:
So it's possible for me to disable the wireless in my modem and connect it to the Netgear router?
Yes.

It's possible that both routers are using the same LAN subnet (e.g., 192.168.1.x). If so, and you want to connect the modem/router to the Netgear's WAN port change one of the LAN subnets to something else (e.g., 192.168.3.x)

Or ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!