Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Comp cannot detect any sort of internet connection

(!)

Member with 7 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 08:24 PM #1
Solved: Comp cannot detect any sort of internet connection
Hey everyone - made this thread in an attempt to help my father setup his computer at our new house.

We currently have 1 PC and my laptop connected to the internet with 0 hassle. My father brought in his work computer last night and asked me if I could set it up. Only problem is I cannot for the life of me have it connect to the internet.

He has a PC with Win7, and when I search for a network it says there's no connections available. The PC is inches away from the modem. Also, our other two computers had no problem picking out the connection after a quick scan.

I started to lose hope when I ran an ethernet cable into the PC to see if I could get it to recognize the connection.

No luck.

This is not a brand new computer, it's his work computer that before the move was operating just fine. I'm at a loss of what to do and would appreciate any help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,369 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 09:20 PM #2
If you are trying to use an integrated wireless adapter is it turned on?

There may be a firewall or security suite blocking.

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Member with 7 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 10:08 PM #3
I don't have the materials at hand to put it on a media copy, is there anything specific that you're looking for that I could manually type in on this PC?

Thanks for the help.
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2012, 10:16 AM #4
Quote:
is there anything specific that you're looking for
Yes, just in case it is not a firewall or security suite blocking I am trying to find other clues as to the causes of the networking problems.
Member with 7 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 02:11 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Yes, just in case it is not a firewall or security suite blocking I am trying to find other clues as to the causes of the networking problems.
Host name: SRBrennenGaller
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node type: Hybrid
Ip routing enabled: No
Wins Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter LAN

Media State: Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address: E0-CB-4E-58-0D-39
DHCP Enabled: No
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap. <0D6F904B-FF9A-475A-A5E2-DB3A8ACD50D6>

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description: Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface
Autoconfig Enabled: Yes

Tunnel adapter 6T04 Adapter:

Description: Microsoft 6to4 adapter #2
Autoconfig Enabled: Yes
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2012, 05:02 PM #6
Why a static IP on the ethernet connection? If you assigned it make sure it is correct or else use a dynamic connection. If it is for connecting to your father's work network make sure you note the settings before changing it.

I assumed from your initial post that you first tried wireless, but I see no hint of any wireless hardware. Was that yet another bad assumption on my part?
Member with 7 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 05:57 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Why a static IP on the ethernet connection? If you assigned it make sure it is correct or else use a dynamic connection. If it is for connecting to your father's work network make sure you note the settings before changing it.

I assumed from your initial post that you first tried wireless, but I see no hint of any wireless hardware. Was that yet another bad assumption on my part?
Sorry, I'm not too tech savy when it comes to computers and networking so anything in layman's terms would be appreciated.

I'm not sure why there's a static IP on the ethernet... All i've done is stuck one in the back to see if it would recognize the connection, then unplugged it. Why isn't recognizing it instantly like the other 2 computers in the house? Also, how do I establish a dynamic connection?

Sorry for the inconvenience
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,779 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 06:29 PM #8
Well I would not go changing the Ethernet details if that is set specifically for his work.... So you may want to copy ALL of the information down if you feel comfortable to make changes.

Go into the Netowrk and Sharing Centre, then Change Adapter Settings. Right click on the Local Area Connection and choose Properties. If the computer has computer policies, then that was due to the IT staff and we cannot change that. If you are able to get into Properties, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and click on Properties. Copy THIS information down to the tea - then click on Automatically Obtain... for both sections (IP and DNS) and click on OK.

Thenclose it down and connect Ethernet and it should work.
Member with 7 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 07:13 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couriant View Post
Well I would not go changing the Ethernet details if that is set specifically for his work.... So you may want to copy ALL of the information down if you feel comfortable to make changes.

Go into the Netowrk and Sharing Centre, then Change Adapter Settings. Right click on the Local Area Connection and choose Properties. If the computer has computer policies, then that was due to the IT staff and we cannot change that. If you are able to get into Properties, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and click on Properties. Copy THIS information down to the tea - then click on Automatically Obtain... for both sections (IP and DNS) and click on OK.

Thenclose it down and connect Ethernet and it should work.
Thank you! This worked.

Appreciate the help Terry and Couriant.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!