Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless connection reaching unplayble ping in-game

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jun-2012, 01:14 PM #1
Wireless connection reaching unplayble ping in-game
Hello, new poster here as my dad sent me here. My computer setup can be seen below and I have never had an issue with my internet or my internet speed. When I began moving it from house to house, I had to use an old netgear wireless adapter (Netgear WG111T) and I had to install custom drivers as they were not supported in Win7. I never had a problem with this adapter other than when I was streaming or downloading something, in which it would kick me off after 10 or so minutes. The speed was normal but I was essentially DC'd.

After some time and some frustration, I decided to show my dad what I was talking about and when I connected my computer directly to the router, the download rate was still comparably lower than it used to be. We ran a speed test and it was cut in half. When my dad ran a speed test from his computer (while my computer was still on) and it was the speed it was supposed to be.

Now, I'm using a Belkin wireless adapter N300 and if I load up a game like Diablo I hit unplayable ping.

I ran MalwareBytes in safemode and found nothing. Outside of that, I'm not going to do anything else without knowing as to not mess up the situation any further. Any assistance would be appreciated!

edit: the other wireless devices in the home work. They consist of 4 smartphones, 3 laptops and 3 iPads. Not all on at the same time, but all receive wireless signal.

editx2: if i hop on World of Warcraft or Diablo, my home ping is 300 and my world ping is 200 on my desktop. But if I hop on my laptop, its 78 and 79 respectively. Don't know if that helps or not.

editx3: I just hit a 20 second delay ingame of over 20000 ping before I was booted

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 3
RAM: 6142 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 381551 MB, Free - 191251 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA790X-UD4P
Antivirus: None

Last edited by picas723; 30-Jun-2012 at 02:10 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 08:46 PM #2
bump
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 12:17 PM #3
bump
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 01:48 PM #4
bump
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 01:42 PM #5
bump
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
adapter, lag, ping, wifi, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!