Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Open Nat problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 12:18 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Open Nat problems
I've been having a problem for a while now with my Netgear wndr3400 router. My Nat has been strict no matter what I try. I have tried setting a DMZ, I have enabled UPnP, I have opened all the ports that the games I like to play need. These ports include: 80, 88, 3074, and 7707. My computer has a static IP. However after all this, my router STILL does not allow me to connect in games because of a strict Nat. In order to see if it is the router I connected my computer directly to my modem and I have an open Nat. The router has also been updated to the newest firmware. Can anyone help me get an open Nat or is my router a curse?
zx10guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 3,860 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 12:33 PM #2
Soap Box:
There is no such thing as strict, moderate, open, luke warm, tight, loose NAT. These terms are the invention of the gaming industry which has shown their lack of networking knowledge by creating these idiotic terms. NAT by itself mean network address translation. It's a mechanism by which a public facing IP address can be translated to another private address. The strict, moderate, open, luke warm terminology refers to the port forwarding aspect of SOHO/SMB routers which you can direct specific traffic on a specific port to an internal IP address on the same or different port (port translation.) Because of the drive to make things simple for most users, they've combined this in how NAT/PAT is done on SOHO/SMB routers.

Off soap box.

When you plug your laptop into the modem, what is the IP address you get from the modem on your PC?
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 12:43 PM #3
Even so, I have a connection problem relating to the router. All computers in my house have a static IP. The laptops is 192.168.1.3, and my IP is 192.168.1.2 to the router. The IP to the modem is 172.186.180.10

Last edited by Trataku; 05-Jul-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2012, 01:53 PM #4
When you plug your PC into your modem, what IP are you using or get? Do an ipconfig /all when you have the PC connected to the modem.
Computer Specs
Member with 470 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 04:23 PM #5
zx10guy I'm just wandering this, but how is that going to help him with his NAT?
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2012, 05:15 PM #6
I'm trying to figure out if his modem is acting as a modem/router or just a modem. The IP address assigned to the PC will confirm this.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 10:20 PM #7
I no longer need help in regards to my router issue. I ended up buying a new router today after 2 years of torture from my old Netgear. It seems like my connection issues have subsided for now. I'll update if I have any issues. Thanks for the help though
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
nat, netgear, router, strict, wndr3400

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!