Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

LAN Printer Questions

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 05:50 PM #1
LAN Printer Questions
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I recently took over as the IT guy for a small company in an office building. It's my first real experience in a server environment, and I'm trying familiarize myself with the setup as much as possible. Today I finally got around to the printers and it's such a jumble that I feel like I would be better off trying to just start over from scratch. A quick summary of what I found follows (and can be skipped to get to my question if it's too long).

---Summary---
When I go to access the server (running Windows Server 2003) through Windows (start->run->\\servername) I get a list of all the available shares, a folder called Printers and Faxes, and then in that same list is a jumble of all sorts of other printers, some which are also in the Printers and Faxes folder, and some which aren't. Some of them are also the same printer, but with a different label (outside the Printers and Faxes folder, it's HPLJ2600N; inside that folder it's HP Color LaserJet 2600N)

When I started looking closer at each one, specifically the ports, I noticed that there were a LOT of ports in the list. For example:

Code:
IP_xx.xx.xx.4,6,7,8,9,166 (under the "Printer" column the first one has three printers listed, the second and third have one each, and the rest are empty)
X_xx.xx.xx.3
LMIPORT (LogMeIn Printer Port)
\\<random office computer name>\HPDJ932C (Local Port)
\\<server name>\HPLJ2 (Local Port)
HPLaserJetM2727nfMFP (that's in the port column, description is HP Standard TCP/IP Port)
\\HPLJ1320\PR_LPT1 (LAN Manager Printer Port)
It's especially confusing because a number of those printers aren't even in use (some were removed 5+ years ago). There are also quite a few PCs in the office that have (Redirected) after the printer name when they go to print something and I'm not quite sure what that is either.
---End---

So I feel like it would probably just be easiest to redo all the printers in the office, but if I'm going to do that I want to do it right. I'd like to know what you guys think is the best way to go about removing all traces of the previous setup and putting a new setup in place with minimal downtime.

Right now we have three centralized printer/fax/copiers that most people are printing to. There used to be small printers in every office, but now there are only 5 of those left. Even though most of those could be/are connected with a USB cable (because the only one who prints to it is the person in that office) I'd still like them to be networked as we do switch offices around often.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!