Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't share my internet connection

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Jul-2012, 02:45 PM #1
Question Can't share my internet connection
Hello. 1st I'd like to excuse myself for possible grammatical fails in my problem, I'm not American nor Britainian so please accept my excuse.

Okay, here's the problem.

I'm connecting to internet via Wi-Fi USB adapter and my connection works great. But few days ago friend brought his PC to me so we could do some online gaming over night but there my problems started. We connected both PC's with ethernet cable in this scheme (My PC - ethernet cable - unset router - ethernet cable - his PC)

Okay the problem is that when I set up the LAN, I can't connect to the internet ( I noticed that I can surf the internet when I share my Wireless connection in advanced settings, so I use that trick to connect to the Internet when I need to ) but we can play in LAN.

So here's the real conflict. Why can't I share my internet connection to his PC. I allow my Wireless Network Connection sharing but he can't connect to the internet.

We're both using WinXP SP3 and we have almost same PC's. So can anyone help me?

I am even willing to use TeamViewer for easier help if someone can help me?

Last edited by kuco031; 06-Jul-2012 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: More info
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,619 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 03:16 PM #2
Quote:
I am even willing to use TeamViewer for easier help if someone can help me?
we do not permit this type of support- all has to stay on the forum

do you have a router- what are you connecting your wireless to - does your friend PC have wireless at all

how to share XP
TURN ON ICS
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing

General
-------
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ection-Sharing

XP
--
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._02july01.mspx
Computer Specs
Member with 14 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 03:49 PM #3
yeah i do. I connect to Zyxel HW660
http://www.josemariscal.com/blog/wp-...l_660hw-61.jpg

And nope he doesnt have any kind of wireless

i already tryed ICS but doesn't work either. And btw I dont get this message when I turn on network sharing:
"When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP
address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on
your network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set them
to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable Internet
Connection Sharing?"

Last edited by kuco031; 06-Jul-2012 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: more info
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2012, 03:57 PM #4
whats the link for ?
dont understand the image

http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_...w_series.shtml

shows as having ethernet sockets - is there no way you can position yourselfs to use the router with cables
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,395 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 04:01 PM #5
You're connecting to one router via Wi-Fi and a second router via ethernet and the other computer is connecting to the second router? If so, when you enable ICS on your computer you also want to disable the Dhcp server on the second router.
Computer Specs
Member with 14 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 04:03 PM #6
Im using Zyxel 660HW-T3 to connect to the internet via my Wi-Fi usb adapter (on my main PC)

But I connected our 2 PC's with Siemens Gigaset SX 763 - settings in it arent installed and for LAN it works just fine but doesn't transfer my internet whom I've shared.

Oh and the other router has no familiarities with my main internet router. I just use it so i could connect our 2 pc's because if i connect our pc's directly with ethernet cable it says "cable unplugged" in pc
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,395 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 04:07 PM #7
OK, just disable the Dhcp server in the Siemens and you should be good.
Computer Specs
Member with 14 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 05:02 PM #8
Okay did that, now i get limited connectivity on both PC's. What do you guys suggest?
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2012, 05:04 PM #9
if you are connecting two routers together

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
From a John Will Post

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Conn...uters_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 14 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 05:11 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!
Here's the deal. I don't have cros-over cable nor I can't place cable over whole living room because the router is on completely opposite side of room.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2012, 05:16 PM #11
so i'm missing something - sorry

Explain in detail what equipment you have an how its all connected together now and working - and then how you would like to have it all connected together

i assume you read through the ICS links i posted and set up correctly
Computer Specs
Member with 14 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 05:22 PM #12
Okay I've used your guide with some of my expirience and made it work.

Now when I made it work it was working for ful 3 minutes and now it says on both PC that there is connection but he can't surf. Do you guys have any idea what could be possibly being?
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2012, 05:23 PM #13
Quote:
Explain in detail what equipment you have an how its all connected together now and working -
even if only for a few minutes
Computer Specs
Member with 14 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 05:33 PM #14
Oh sorry i missed that line. I'll try to draw the scheme for you guys

Zyxel(Primary router with working Internet connection) - Wireless connection - My PC - Ethernet cable - Siemens Gigaset Router (disabled DHCP) - Ethernet Cable - Friends PC

We've noticed that from time to time we can connect to Internet via friends PC but we'd like to keep connection up whole time
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2012, 05:43 PM #15
Quote:
Zyxel(Primary router with working Internet connection) - Wireless connection - My PC - Ethernet cable - Siemens Gigaset Router (disabled DHCP) - Ethernet Cable - Friends PC
have you tried

Zyxel(Primary router with working Internet connection) - Wireless connection - My PC - Ethernet cable - Friends PC
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet & networking, internet sharing problem, network sharing, network sharing problems, sharing internet

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!