Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: HP 6197CA Drops Wireless Signal

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jul-2012, 07:31 AM #1
Solved: HP 6197CA Drops Wireless Signal
I saw a similar post that expired, so am creating a new post.

I have had an HP 6197CA for 6 months. This week it started dropping the wireless network, or connecting randomly at 1mbps when all other laptops, Blackberries, AppleTVs, etc. are getting about 20mbps when tested.

Specs: Windows 7 64 bit
Processor: Intel i7-2360QM 2.0 Ghz with Turbo boost technology
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Graphics: Radeon HD 6770m 1GB
Storage: 2 x 500 GB 7200rpm
Network Interface: Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless: Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n. Bluetooth wireless networking with WiDi

When I plug right into my router I'm getting 20 mbps.

I've tried a number of channels and changed the router to 20MHz. Any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,025 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 11:26 AM #2
Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from HP's web site. If you already have the latest driver reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupted.
Member with 4 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 10:45 PM #3
Thanks...
thanks - this didn't fix it. When I go to any other wireless it works like a dream.

any other suggestions?
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2012, 12:58 PM #4
Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify your network if you are not connected to it at the time of the screen shot.

What do you mean by "When I go to any other wireless it works like a dream"? (Different wireless adapter or different wireless network?)
Member with 4 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 06:22 PM #5
Response to 6197CA Wireless issues discussion.
I'm attaching a screenshot - thanks!

When I say "When I go to any other wireless it works like a dream" I mean if I use another wireless network... I have a number of devices working on the Priscilla network below, and the 6197CA is sitting about 4 feet (through a floor) from the router.

I have the latest drivers from Intel's site (It's an Intel Centrino-N 1030 wireless card) as the drivers at HP are much older. This problem happened long after that, and I have reinstalled the drivers, removed and installed the drivers again.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: HP 6197CA Drops Wireless Signal-xirrus.jpg  
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2012, 06:56 PM #6
Might be interesting to try with encryption disabled. And if that works OK try WPA-PSK TKIP.
Member with 4 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 09:42 PM #7
I figured it out.

I spent $50 and got a USB Wireless Adapter, thinking it was my network card not being on speaking terms with my home router.

I hooked it up and had the same problem. Every few minutes it would drop the network.

"What has changed in my home since this started happening?"

Long story (scroll down if you'd like) - we're in the middle of a heat wave right now. We just had our roof and garage redone (40 year old house) and as part of that we ran some new circuits through the mechanical room ceiling and up through a wall on the main floor to the attic. One of these circuits is for a power vent in the attic. I was up in the attic the day this started to set the temperature on the thermostat, and when I set it to turn on at 120 it began to run (and probably hasn't stopped much since).

My wife told me that the internet works fine in the morning (when the attic is cool and the power vent isn't running, I deduced). I went downstairs and moved my wireless router so the new conductors are no longer between the router and my suspect laptop. Running the various speedtests, etc. I'm not at the same speed as when I'm plugged in to the router.

Anyone need a USB Wireless Adapter? I'll give you a deal - $50.

Cheers!

Last edited by mickbeale; 11-Jul-2012 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2012, 11:43 AM #8
There was a little more variation in the signal strength than I like to see, but thought it wasn't enough to start exploring. Guess I was wrong.

Having a spare USB wireless adapter is not a bad thing. It's good for some trouble shooting and can be really great when your integrated adapter fails (say, when you are away from home).

Thanks for reporting what you found and how you found it.

You can mark this solved using the button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hp 6197ca, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!