Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

FAX by computer only

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Jul-2012, 12:39 PM #1
FAX by computer only
I have a Dell Laptop N1710, Win 7. I use Magicjack Plus phone service VOIP and, consequently, the FAX in my printer will not work. I was advised to use the FAX software built into my computer. As I poked around I found it but when I indicated that I had a modem & Belkin wireless router it would not accept that and seemed to want a new modem attached to my laptop. I then clicked on the option to use my server's network FAX software and now it wants to know the name & address of my Network Administrator & get their approval. How do I find this information? Is their a simpler way to get FAX up and running? This old man needs explicit instructions as I'm not that sharp on computers. Thanks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 12:45 PM #2
If your multifunction device can't fax over MagicJack, your computer can't either. Faxing is an analog, dial-up, phone line operation. To fax from your computer, you'd need a dial-up modem (not a cable or DSL modem), and you'd connect that phone line to exactly the same jack the multifunction device is using. If it doesn't work for one, it's probably not going to work for another.

You only other option is to pay for an Internet faxing service. None are completely free, but many offer a certain number of pages or faxes for free before charging. FaxZero and eFax are 2 such services.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jul-2012, 02:28 PM #3
Did some searching and there appears to be a sound quality issue. Lot of extraneous noises on VOIP that interfer with the fax signal.

One soloution was to turn the Magicjack speaker and microphone volumes to 100% when faxing.

Also found this article that claims opening ports 5060 and 5070 in your firewall and router for UDP traffic only will let the FAX through.
http://www.magicjacksupport.com/magi...it-t10706.html
Member with 2 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 01:46 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
If your multifunction device can't fax over MagicJack, your computer can't either. Faxing is an analog, dial-up, phone line operation. To fax from your computer, you'd need a dial-up modem (not a cable or DSL modem), and you'd connect that phone line to exactly the same jack the multifunction device is using. If it doesn't work for one, it's probably not going to work for another.

You only other option is to pay for an Internet faxing service. None are completely free, but many offer a certain number of pages or faxes for free before charging. FaxZero and eFax are 2 such services.
I agree just get an online faxing service.
http://www.faxcompare.com/

has many options/more info about online faxing.
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 12:33 PM #5
Thanks, DoubleHelix. While this old man understands your explanation I'm perplexed because others have no problems using FAX. I know the manager of a condominion complex here in St. Augustine, FL., who has Magicjack in his office AND at his home using a DSL Internet connection. In both locations he has a multi-function printer, scanner, copier, FAX (no separate FAX phone) and uses an answering machine system with cordless phone, plus two additional cordless handsets. He has absolutely no problems sending & receiving a FAX. He assures me that he has not changed any settings on his printer/FAX nor on his Magicjack in order to use FAX.
I, too, have a MF printer, copier, scanner, FAX (no separate FAX phone) and an answering machine system with cordless phone, plus two additional handsets. I, too, use AT&T's, stand-alone, DSL Internet connection but each time I try to FAX I hear a garbled message that ends with "....hang up and try your call again". I really only average sending about 4 pages of FAX every 4-5 months to some doctors & never receive a FAX, which makes me hesitate to pay a monthly fee for a FAX service. Any other thoughts that you can suggest?
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 12:44 PM #6
Thanks, dlsayremn. I'll try searching on Magicjack and try increasing the volume to 100% and then try to send a FAX. John
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 12:52 PM #7
Thanks, zvan. For the few FAXes I send to some doctors about every 4-5 months I hesitate to pay a monthly fee for a FAX service. Please see my replies to doublehelix and dlsayremn. John
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 05:19 PM #8
I found the Magicjack link to increase the volume and I did move the two volume bars all the way over to the right. I then made sure that my Canon MX300 printer FAX settings for speed were reduced to 2400 for both RX and TX as suggested by Canon Tech Support. Before I made all of these changes AND, now, after making all of these changes, I still cannot send a FAX.
Even if I felt capable of following your instructions to open ports 5060 and 5070 to allow UPD traffic for sending a FAX, IF IT WORKS, .would I have to go back and close those two ports after I send a FAX? If so, that would be a cunbersome job ... back and forth each time that I would want to send a FAX. I await your reply. Again, many thanks for trying to help me as I recover from my cancer chemos. John
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,560 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 05:35 PM #9
If you need only send a few FAXes every 4-5 months consider just using the service elsewhere. I think that shipping companies (e.g., UPS) usually have the service, believe that Staples does, ... Not nearly as convenient, of course.
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 11:26 AM #10
Hi dlsayremn. Since you mentioned excessive noice level on VOIP, in addition to increasing Magicjack volume level to 100% I have now added more phone filters at every phone jack including the printer/fax and the Magicjack device and, also, a DSL filter at all DSL connections. The AT&T service technition had also put phone & DSL filters at the incoming line connection. Still unable to send a FAX. If I try to open those two ports that you suggested I try and then I successfully can send a FAX then MUST I go back and close the two ports in order to use our telephone ?? Hopefully, you will have some answers for me and, hopefully, I will also hear from, double-helix, if he has any further suggestions. Thanks, John

17-Jul-2012, 11:36 AM #11
There's nothing perplexing about it. From what I've read/heard, MagicJack is a hit or miss device. If and when it works, it's great. When it doesn't, you're out of luck. It's cheap for a reason. They don't have an army of skilled technicians waiting at the ready to provide users with one-on-one detailed, hand-holding support.

Faxing is an analog telephone line process. That's it. There's no magic (no pun intended) involved. The manager of the condominium complex just has a better MagicJack connection than you do. He's not sending a fax over his DSL connection.

If you only send a couple of faxes a year, look at the Internet faxing services. Not all charge a fixed monthly fee. Most offer per-use plans where you may get a certain number of faxes or pages free and then you pay a fee per page or per fax. That's it. I wouldn't mess with making changes to your router or your MagicJack for something you only do twice a year. There's always the chance that you'll change something that causes problems with either your Internet connection or your MagicJack service or both. Not worth it.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jul-2012, 05:29 PM #12
You can probably leave the ports open.
I use Skype (on 3 computers) and it has opened ports on my router for each computer that stay open all the time.
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 10:13 PM #13
Thank you, one and all for your ongoing replies. I've been under the weather again but will try to open those ports and see if that works. John
P.S. If I replace my separate Westell modem and separate Belkin wireless router, are there any combination wireless modem/routers that will enable faxing?? I've been looking on the Internet but, so far, none that I've seen say that they will enable faxing. John

21-Jul-2012, 12:05 AM #14
I don't know how to be clearer.

Faxing is a telephone line, analog operation. You cannot send a fax over a broadband Internet connection unless you subscribe to a faxing service.

If you cannot send a fax with your all-in-one, there's nothing else you can buy that will work besides paying for a regular land-line telephone line and connecting a fax machine to it.
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 05:14 PM #15
Thanks, DounleHelix. I do appreciate your patience with this stubborn old man . I mentioned about getting an all-in-one wireless modem/router to replace my separate Westell modem and my separate Belkin wireless router which is what the manager of the Condo complex has at both his office and home.. I remember that you had said that he may just have better phone lines from AT&T than I do ... grrrrr!
A frustrated old submariner that once again thanks you for your help. John
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!