Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Three other pcs connected, one will not.

(!)

Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jul-2012, 04:27 PM #1
Three other pcs connected, one will not.
Okay, guys. I am getting F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-E-D. Here goes. I have a computer that I built a few years ago. Not sure of the exact specs, but for this question, I'm not really sure it matters other than the fact that I am a diehard XP fan. Guess which OS I am using. It does not have an onboard NIC, so I am using a NetGear WG111v2 wireless adapter that I got at just about the same time as the computer. I recently moved in with some friends and they have wireless internet. I hooked up my pc, and proceeded to connect to the internet. I got a good connection, but the dreaded "Limited or No Connectivity." First off, I tried disabling the connection and then re-enabling. This had no effect. So, like always, I do a power cycle. Same thing. Ipconfig gives me a 169.254.x.x, nonroutable, ip address. I release and renew. No good. Reset winsock. No good. Device manager says my adapter is working and drivers are up to date. In any case, I uninstall and reinstall it only to find the same results as before. There are three other computers on the network, one of which is my laptop, that all connect and are provided private ips by the router. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here. Any help would be great. I'm not the best with figure out networking solutions.

Justin
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,982 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 05:51 PM #2
Make sure you have the latest driver from Netgear's web site.

What encryption on the network? That adapter does not support WPA2 and may have trouble with WPA/WPA2 mixed.
Member with 8 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 06:25 PM #3
The network I'm on is a WEP, but I have used this adapter on a WPA network before. As stated, I'm pretty sure my drivers are up to date, but I'll double check to make sure.
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2012, 07:00 PM #4
Quote:
but I have used this adapter on a WPA network before
And that's certainly what I recommend, but I assume that the router in this case is not yours and/or somebody else has something ancient that only supports WEP.
Member with 8 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 08:12 PM #5
Correct. It is not mine, but I don't believe it's ancient. I'm pretty sure they have only had it maybe a year. It is an at&t 2 Wire 2701HG-B.
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2012, 09:32 AM #6
Is the encryption key a HEX key or ascii passcode? Some devices translate ascii passcodes differently.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!