Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Turn on wireless capability? - Vista

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jul-2012, 10:41 AM #1
Solved: Turn on wireless capability? - Vista
Yesterday I was uploading some photos from my camera to my laptop. The SD card in the camera has something seriously wrong with it and whenever I put it in my laptop, the sound control opens and closes and a little message with the wifi and Bluetooth symbols with and without red circles with lines through over them. This is usually not a problem as when I take out the card the wifi and Bluetooth resume normally. However this time when I try to connect it says 'windows cannot find any networks'. A diagnosis says 'wireless capability on this computer is turned off. Turn on wireless capability. This can be done by using a switch, which is usually found on the front or side of the computer, or a function key combination.' I've found the switch, on one side it has a circle and on the other it has two arrows like a fast forward symbol followed by what looks like an LED and then an antenna symbol. Obviously the switch is meant to be towards the antenna, which it is. However it is only half way towards it because it slides back to the middle if I push it further to the antenna (this also brings up a 'wi-fi catcher' which is empty.) My investigations into this have found that fn+f2 doesn't do anything and there is no blue antenna symbol on the keyboard. The WLAN card is enabled. In 'dell wireless WLAN card utitlity' it says 'connection status: radio disabled'. Also a diagnostics of the WLAN hardware finds everything is ok. A connection diagnostics brings up an error message saying "the dell wireless WLAN card is still disabled. Slide the wireless ON/OFF switch to enable it.'
This is extremely frustrating because it feels like there should be an easy fix but when I slide the switch in any direction nothing changes. I have tried restarting the computer with the switch towards the circle and towards the antenna, still nothing.
My laptop has had a history of being extremely temperamental with wifi connections, but recently it had become less of a problem.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,845 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 11:44 AM #2
its possible thee may be a combination of FN and F key - unlikely as you have a physicalswitch - but have a look at the F keys for the wireless symbol
Next in can be disabled in the bios/set

lets have a look in device manager and see if disabled- you should be able to right click on the adapter and enable

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device Manager
Post back the results in device manager
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

how to access device manager for different windows versions
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

windows key and pause Key should open to allow device manager to be seen,
on a laptop you may need to use windows key + FN key + Pause Key

if this does not work then

Windows 7 or Vista
Click on the Start Orb
In the Start Search box type
device manager and then press enter

-------------------

Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
windows 7
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
is the wireless adapter disabled ?
right click on the wireless adapter - do you get an option to enable or disable ?

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Or if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in
Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 12:30 PM #3
Just to add to etaf's advice on checking the WLAN card in Device manager.

Open Properties for the WLAN card and click the Advanced tab. In the Property list, click "Radio On/Off. Value box should show "On or Enbled". If not, change.
If the radio has been turned off here, the card will still show as enabled and working properly.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 01:56 PM #4
Thank you both for your advice.
Really stupid, embarrassing fix to this problem. I was switching the switch onto the antenna and then pushing it further. The fix was to start in the off position and push the switch all the way to the end in one quick movement. Don't understand why they couldn't specify this! I am such a moron.
Anyway, thanks again!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,845 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 02:08 PM #5
thanks for letting us know - will help others here searching - so useful to know how the switch operates
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!