Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless drops out, due to password?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Jul-2012, 06:38 AM #1
Wireless drops out, due to password?
The excellent connection of my modem is in a hairy contrast with the Netgear N300 wireless router installed on my computer, that being, my connection to my modem will drop out randomly at least every hour or so.
After fiddling around a little, I discovered that that the network configuration key changes after a while... Why? I do not know.
I am temporarily making do by re submitting the key into the password section whenever it decides to defecate itself, but, playing a game like League of Legends and having it drop out halfway through a game is extremely annoying as I usually lose the game because of a few minutes trying to fix the connection - much to the dismay of my allies!
I am able to check that my configuration key is changed, not by the amount of hash's or astrix's shown in the password field, but by the nifty, check-box feature that allows you to see what the current configuration key is set to.
Please help, I am on my knee's, begging
Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2012, 07:47 AM #2
I couldn't tell you why this is happening off the top of my head, I do have a solution for you though. Remove the security phrase from the router, then try allowing access from only certain MAC addr. and assign yours to it. This should resolve the issue of you having to re-enter the pwd.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2012, 11:27 AM #3
Is the Netgear losing connection to the modem or the computer losing connection to the Netgear???

Could be a problem with the firmware on the router

What make/model modem?
What is the version number for the Netgear?
How are the modem and Netgear N300 connected?
If the Netgear is a router it would usually be connected to the computer by ethernet or wireless, not installed.
How is the connection from the N300 to the computer made?

Quote:
After fiddling around a little, I discovered that that the network configuration key changes after a while
Wireless key for the Netgear?
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Aug-2012, 03:09 AM #4
Hey guys sorry for not replying, but I have managed to fix it after a couple of weeks of intensive researrch. I actually had to crack into my netgear case (voiding any warranty) and discover there was a wire loose, resetting all connection passwords made and encypting them. weird
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!