Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: New LAN = Remote Desktop no longer works

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

16-Jul-2012, 04:54 PM #1
Solved: New LAN = Remote Desktop no longer works
Hi, everybody!

Thanks for reading! I've been reading this forum for a couple hours now, and am actually a bit more confused than I was. I'm certain the answer is in here somewhere, but I'm not having any luck, or I am misunderstanding something.

Basically, I rebuilt my network over the weekend, to include a subnet, and can no longer connect my desktop to the remote PC. My old router was reset to defaults and re-configured. My PC has been wiped, reinstalled, and fully updated.

The error I receive is "Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons: etc" I've only seen this error in the past when the PC I connect to was powered down. I have confirmed that everything is still set up properly on the PC I'm trying to connect to via an associate, and it is not powered down.

There is NO WIRELESS ANYTHING in either setup below:
(also, ignore the ....s. or some reason, it's deleting the spaces I entered when I preview the post)

Old setup:

[My Win7 PC] ---- [old router] ---- [modem] --- [internet] ---- [Remote PC (Win 7)]
...............................| | |
.........................other local PCs

New setup:

[My Win7 PC] ---- [old router] ---- [new router] ---- [modem] --- [internet] ---- [Remote PC (Win 7)]
.........................................................| | |
...................................................other local PCs

1. I went into Windows firewall to allow Remote Desktop through, but it looks like that only needs to be set for the PC I'm trying to connect to. (Yes/No?)

2. I've forwarded port 3389 from the old router to my PC.

3. I haven't done anything yet to the new router, because I really can't tell if I'm doing the right things. The very first time I connected to the remote PC, it went right through, and I didn't have to change anything in the old router (I think - it's been awhile). I really don't know where to go from here, and it looks like the setup options I've found in the forum so far (static IP, port forwarding, Windows firewall changes, etc.) leave me with more security risks than I had on the old network, and there seem to be some conflicting opinions about the setup process.

I can find my way around both routers fairly well, but I've never had to deal with setting one up to connect remotely. If anybody could provide/help me find some guidance, I would be so thankful.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,413 posts.

16-Jul-2012, 07:04 PM #2
Nothing you did on your PC or with the routers should matter. Something must have changed with the Remote PC. Are you using a dynamic DNS service to access it? Or just using an IP address? Either way, make sure you are really addressing it.
Member with 2 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 02:21 AM #3
Thanks, but it was actually a VPN problem. Everything's working fine now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!