Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't Ping Router, or Connect to Internet.

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

18-Jul-2012, 08:14 AM #1
Solved: Can't Ping Router, or Connect to Internet.
I have recently been having a strange issue with my computer. For some reason, i can no longer access the the internet through my wireless router. I have tried the network diagnostic tool in Windows 7, and it claimed that my drivers needed to be updated. I updated the drivers, and still no connectivity. I have tried pinging my router/gateway IP and i recieve "transmit failed. General failure" message. I have retried pinging it using a different ethernet cable and i still have the same error message. My roommate who i share internet with, is able to connect to my network and the internet with no problem. Also, i used to be able to acess the internet using my phone as a hotspot. That no longer works either. The only changes to my system that have happened prior to this problem occurring is that i removed several viruses from my computer, and ran a program to clean my registry. I think there may be a chance that a virus somehow interfered with my network settings. Any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,375 posts.

18-Jul-2012, 12:54 PM #2
"General failure" is often caused by a misconfigured or corrupted firewall. But viruses and the "program to clean my registry" also have to be considered serious suspects.

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Member with 2 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 08:58 PM #3
I've been successful in resolving my problem. The reason why i wasn't able to access my router through my NIC or wirelessly, is because of a virus that i had unknowingly downloaded. In addition to shutting down my access to my router/internet. it also hijacked my web browsers, and redirected me to "nginx" welcome page. I solved the problem by accessing my computer's system recovery option, and restoring my computer to it's original factory condition.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,375 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 09:20 AM #4
Thanks for letting us know.

You can mark this solved using the button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!