Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Virtual Box...

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 01:45 PM #1
Unhappy Virtual Box...
Hi,

Currently I am on my home network behind a typical BT router serving several computers.

On one PC, which has a wireless Ethernet connection and is running Windows 7 Home Edition I have installed VirtualBox.
Within virtual box I have installed one virtual PC, which is Windows Server 2003. I wish to add Active Directory etc to my virtual server PC to turn it into a domain controller, but for the life of me I cannot connect my virtual Windows Server 2003 to my home network or the internet. When I tried loading Active Directory I could not because it said the virtual PC has no IP address assigned to it.

Can somebody please help me out? I am fine with programming but when it comes to IP addresses, subnet masks, DNS servers I come unstuck. Within my virtual PC when I type ipconfig/all at the cmd prompt there are no details at all!

How do I create a connection for my virtual server 2003?

Thanks!
Trusted Advisor with 19,645 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 02:13 PM #2
You do know what VirtualBox has its own forum.
https://forums.virtualbox.org/

I don't personally use VirtualBox but I know there are a few people on the forum that do. Hopefully they will be able to solve your issue.
Member with 4 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 02:15 PM #3
Yeah I know VB has it's own forum but it seems seldom frequented.

Hopefully someone on here can help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,770 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 03:13 PM #4
What are your Network Settings (see attached). More to the point, is at least one Adapter enabled? How is it configured?
Attached Thumbnails
Virtual Box...-capture.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 5,556 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 08:21 PM #5
In your virtual machine, choose Devices > Network Adaptors. Then choose Bridged Adapter. This will make the virtual machine a member of your router's network.

However, be sure that you don't join your host PC to the Active Directory. Because you start the host PC before you can start your virtual server, and the host PC won't find any Active Directory until the guest server vitual box is started.
Member with 4 posts.

25-Jul-2012, 07:43 AM #6
Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately it is still not working.

I don't know whether the fault lies with the host operating system, as when I go into Network Connections on Windows 7 the virtual box connection is there and there are IP address settings for the connection but no gateway address is entered. Also there is some kind of bridge adapter option that was originally unchecked, so I checked it, but it still did not work.

As I said before, the host operating system lists the 'virtual box host only network' as a connection but along side it says 'No Network Access'!

Help would be greatly appreciated

Thank's!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

25-Jul-2012, 08:28 AM #7
You have to select "Bridged". Once you do that, restart the guest, and check the IP settings. It should have Internet access and access to other computers on your network.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,556 posts.

25-Jul-2012, 06:53 PM #8
Quote:
In your virtual machine, choose Devices > Network Adaptors. Then choose Bridged Adapter. This will make the virtual machine a member of your router's network.
In your Virtual Machine window, there are 2 layers of menus, The upper layer belongs to Virtual Box. From there, choose Devices > Network Adaptors. Then choose Bridged Adapter. This is NOT found inside Windows Networking.
Computer Specs
Member with 85 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2012, 08:32 AM #9
Before you get to far, are all of your other computers running Professional or Enterprise? If they are running home, you won't be able to join a domain and utilize Active Directory anyways.

I ask because the computer you are running VB on is XP Home.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!