Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless connection reads as "local only" - says it could be a firewall issue?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jul-2012, 10:26 AM #1
Unhappy Wireless connection reads as "local only" - says it could be a firewall issue?
A couple of days ago my laptop was working fine and connected wirelessly to the Internet. Yesterday it wouldn't connect at all, only locally, without access to the Internet. Other devices in the household can connect though. After restarting the router and my laptop numerous times, I did a diagnose and repair, and the only solution was "security settings on this computer might be blocking the connection. the following policy might need to be adjusted to allow windows to connect: policy provider: windows firewall, filter name: query user. If the policy provider is firewall click for information....". So I tried messing with the firewall settings and nothing helped. My friend walked me through updating my driver and that didn't help. I'm just really confused and I want my laptop to work again. It is an hp pavilion dv5-1235dx and the OS is Vista.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,013 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 11:46 AM #2
Do you get internet access with an ethernet connection?

What firewall or security suite on the system?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jul-2012, 08:41 PM #3
thank you for replying and for you help! when i got home from work today, i reset the router because my mom said it wasn't working, and then i turned my laptop on, and it connected automatically! i really appreciate your help, thank you
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,013 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 08:48 PM #4
Glad you got it working again.

You can mark this solved using the button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
firewall, hp pavilion, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!