Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop only connects when security is off.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 11:02 AM #1
Laptop only connects when security is off.
Hello I have an HP DV7-1135nr running vista 64bit. Due to lack of space and generally needing to be refreshed, I used my recovery CDs to "factory reset" my laptop to the way it was when I bought it. After it finished I attempted to use the Internet wirelessly and it would only connect locally. I chose to repair the signal in the "network and sharing" window and it said it could not communicate with the DNS server. I plugged in the Ethernet cable and it jumped right online. I used windows update and after 4 hours of updates and restarts, I tried wireless again it only connects locally. Back to ethernet I logged onto HP website and tried to scan my computer for driver updates with there tool but the site was down. I checked my adapter and it is an atheros 5007 but when I searched for atheros or atheros drivers I couldn't find anything that seemed legit. They don't have a website? I read forums and found posts of people shutting off a DHCP broadcast flag with good luck. I found a few Ŕhaving problems with the same adapter as myself but none of this started until I restored it this time. ( I have restored it 2 times before with no problem). My next step was shutting off all the security. It worked and everything was great until i turned the security back on. It reverts back to local only. I tried wpa, wpa2 and no luck. The only thing I can think of is that my drivers are old, I checked the version of windows and it still is on sp1, why hasn't it updated to sp2 yet? Does anyone have a idea of what is wrong.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,263 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 11:53 AM #2
The following was put together mostly by etaf with a little help from me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007
Over the last couple of years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapter, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and windows Vista.

The adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
--- Please post back here if that
works or does not work.

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver." That apparently has worked for some posters.

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section, as some manufactures, appear to now have a working driver available.
Toshiba - update has worked for some PCs
HP The latest HP Atheros driver dated Sept 2010 has fixed the issue - so check the driver date, However, that does NOT apply to all HPs / Compaqs machines
- the poster did an online scan for driver updates on the HP website here HP Product Detection which resulted in a solution. Solved: Can't connect to internet wirelessly - Atheros AR5007 Wifi through Clear Comm - Tech Support Guy Forums

If you can post the Make and EXACT model of your PC here, along with the windows version you have and we will see if we can find the driver and will post a link as a reply here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) A few posters here with the same issue have found that the driver from this site ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows resolved the issue
Threads are here
Solved: no wireless internet used driver from
Solved: Used manufacturers updated driver
Solved: Public Network - Access: Local Only (Please help!) - Tech Support Guy Forums
Solved: NetGear WNDR3700 Incompatibilty W/ Atheros AR5700 - Tech Support Guy Forums
Solved: Local connection only when connected to secured wirless - Tech Support Guy Forums

I do NOT know anything about the site mentioned ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows However, a number of forum members have now successfully used the site to update the driver

However, if you do decide to try the driver, Please let us know the outcome

Direct link to the drivers are below
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " click to download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

AR5007
Vista 32 Bit
Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista
Although this driver has shown up in BSODs (Blue Screen Of Death) on Vista SP2 systems, usually conflicting with updated Vista OS drivers like netio.sys, tcpip.sys and other networking related drivers.

AR5007EG
Vista 32 Bit
Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista

Drivers for other windows operating system
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

You might also bug your laptop's tech support about the problem--maybe people can put pressure on Atheros to find a fix.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,908 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jul-2012, 12:12 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesc39 View Post
I have an HP DV7-1135nr running vista 64bit.
I used my recovery CDs to "factory reset" my laptop to the way it was when I bought it.
I checked my adapter and it is an atheros 5007
I checked the version of windows and it still is on sp1, why hasn't it updated to sp2 yet?
Here is the support and software site for the HP Pavilion dv7-1135nr Entertainment Notebook(FS129UA#ABA).

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1(64-bit) pre-installed.

That's why it has SP1 after you reset back to its original factory condition.

You need to go here to download and save the full SP2 upgrade, then burn it off in a CD-R.

If you ever need to reset that laptop back to its original factory condition again, you'll have the CD-R handy to install the SP2 upgrade afterwards.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Are you positive that laptop has an Atheros AR5007 wireless device and not a Broadcom 4321AG/4322AG wireless device?

This is the only wireless driver listed for it for Windows Vista(64-bit).

--------------------------------------------------------------
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2012, 12:17 PM #4
TerryNet:

That's some very good informstion to know about that wireless adapter with Windows Vista.

Does it have the same issue with Windows 7?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,263 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 12:58 PM #5
Quote:
Does it have the same issue with Windows 7?
Not sure. Think that we've only seen three theads with that combination, and the problem and fix (if any) were not conclusive.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2012, 01:05 PM #6
Okay, thanks. My daughter's Toshiba laptop has an Atheros AR5005G wireless device and doesn't appear to have connection or throughput issues. It's running Windows XP though and not Windows Vista.

------------------------------------------------------------

nesc39:

You still out there?

------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 12:26 AM #7
SOLVED Hey guys thank you so much!!!! i went to that atheros.cz site on my own last night and was pulling my hair out because i had no idea how to download the drivers. You have to click on the the blue checkmark that is in the same column as your operating software....just in case anyone else is as dumb as me. So it ended up taking 8 hours to download all the microsoft updates. I wasnt seeing the SP2 update earlier because you I had to download a bunch of other updates first. What ended up solving my issue was updating the atheros 5007 driver. As soon as it finished installing i pulled out the ethernet cable and cha ching it worked perfect. THANKS
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,601 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 04:49 AM #8
Quote:
You have to click on the the blue checkmark that is in the same column as your operating software.
the link should have taken you directly to the vista download sheet - just checked

for the link under
Drivers for other windows operating system

i'll change the script so its clearer for the links - thanks for letting us know

EDIT - updated instructions
Quote:
Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007
Over the last couple of years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.
If you post back the make and exact model of the router - we can advise how to disable the wireless security

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

If you post a reply here with the Make and EXACT model of your PC, along with the windows version you are running. we will see if we can find a link to the driver and will post a reply with the link here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
- see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems

AR5007
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

AR5007EG
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Drivers for the other windows operating system
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

Please post a reply here , and keep us informed of the situation and how you finally resolved the issue.

Last edited by etaf; 31-Jul-2012 at 05:47 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
atheros, internet, local, wpa

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!