Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

NEW laptop drops wireless constantly

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
31-Jul-2012, 05:32 AM #1
Question NEW laptop drops wireless constantly
Hello, I just recently purchased a Lenovo Ideapad U310. I'm very satisfied with everything about it... except for one little problem.

It constantly drops the wireless connection, unless I'm in the same room as the router. If I'm in the same room, everything runs super fast, however, if I'm across the house or upstairs (the router is downstairs), it'll drop connection every 20-30 minutes. The weird thing is, other devices (4 laptops & 3 iPhones) work just fine. Even my old HP laptop has fine connection upstairs, so I'm starting to think it's a problem with my laptop's wireless card.

Another thing that makes me think it's the laptop's problem... I was with my dad at a public library using their wifi the other day. My dad's computer ran at an average speed while mine was ridiculously slow.

The card is Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200. I've updated the driver directly from the Intel website, but no help. I've tried changing channels, no help. I'm not sure what else I can do. Is it just simply because the laptop has a weak wireless network card? It can't be the router's problem right? Since all other devices work?

For the next two years I'll be living in a dorm, most likely using a ethernet cable, will this problem still appear if I'm not using the internet wirelessly?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i5, and since the laptop is new, I haven't downloaded/installed anything that may have brought in a virus.

I really need a solution to this problem, otherwise I think I might have to return the laptop which I really don't want to do because it has everything I'm looking for in a PC. Ahhhh this is so aggravating.

Thanks in advance, any help would be great.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,047 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 07:34 AM #2
Quote:
most likely using a ethernet cable, will this problem still appear if I'm not using the internet wirelessly?
try it - plug into your router LAN connection

would you post the following tests when the internet is working OK, and then repeat ALL the tests when the internet disconnects.
Make sure you also indicate on the reply which tests are for what condition.

Please post back here the make and exact model of the router and if you have a separate modem, the make and exact model of the modem.

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, Mcafee , AVG etc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Ping Tests
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> type CMD to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Type the following command
Ping {then a space and then add the number that is shown against the item labeled "default gateway" shown in the results from the ipconfig /all}
Post back the results in a reply here
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste
Quote:
For your information only
these tests will check various stages of the connection, the first ping test, ping default gateway checks to see if you still have a connection to the router.
The next two Ping google.com & Ping 209.183.226.152 tests the connection to internet. google is to test by name and the ping test using a number is checking that a connection exists without DNS.
these tests then confirm if there is a dns issue on the connection.

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil.../download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to haveNET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus...-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/ or
if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,770 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 10:47 AM #3
Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Lenovo's web site.
Member with 2 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 10:58 AM #4
Moshpits, don't bother with any of the remedies suggested - nothing will work. Lenovo has admitted that there is a problem with the wifi reception of this machine. I bought mine in India and after a week of running around and writing emails to everyone at Lenovo - I managed to get a full refund.
You are not the only one!
See here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-...fi/td-p/790527
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Aug-2012, 12:11 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaguy View Post
Moshpits, don't bother with any of the remedies suggested - nothing will work. Lenovo has admitted that there is a problem with the wifi reception of this machine. I bought mine in India and after a week of running around and writing emails to everyone at Lenovo - I managed to get a full refund.
You are not the only one!
See here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-...fi/td-p/790527
Thank you, after reading this forum it's obvious that it's the machine's problem. Sigh, and I really liked this laptop.

Do you happen to know if it's only for U310/U410 laptops? Or are all Lenovo laptops faulty?
Member with 2 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 12:35 AM #6
From the thread on the Lenovo Forum it is obvious that some 410s are faulty too. I was disappointed as well when I had to return the machine - it looked good but what use is a laptop without internet...
Try and return it before the no-return period expires.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dropping internet, lenovo, new laptop, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!