Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

When I turn on wifi on my android phone, my computer loses its connection.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 01:09 AM #1
When I turn on wifi on my android phone, my computer loses its connection.
This is my setup:

1. I have a internet gateway(modem/router combo Super G) in the living room. I am using U-verse.
2. I have desktop that has a USB wireless n adapter in my room.
3. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Norton internet security 2012

Here is my issue:

When my android phone connects to the router by turning on wifi mode, my computer loses its connection, but the phone connects and works fine.
This only happens when I turn wifi on near the computer, or turn wifi on and enter in my room. When the devices are somewhat far apart, the computer doesn't lose its connection. For example, turing wifi on in the living room and stay there, my computer stay connected.
And it happens only when I use a USB wireless n adapter. A USB wireless g adapter doesn't show this problem.
By the way, my android phone is wifi b,g,n compatible.

To test, I turned my laptop on, which is wifi b,g,n compatible, next to my desktop computer and both worked fine. However, when I turn wifi on on my phone, my desktop loses it connection, but my laptop stay connected.

I've check the ip on all the devices, and the devices show different ip addresses so, the router assigned or recognized the devices correctly, I would assume.

So, what seems be the problem? Does anyone know? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 05:40 AM #2
sounds like some sort of interference - strange,
first thing I would do is change the wireless channels on the router
post an xirrus screen shot from any wireless PC and we can see which channels are being used

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil.../download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to haveNET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus...-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/ or
if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,349 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 10:28 AM #3
Maybe an Xirrus screen shot from the desktop when the desktop is connected and another one when it has lost connection will give a hint.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 03:40 PM #4
When I turn on the wifi mode on the phone, the computer loses its connection and keep trying to connect and lose and connect and lose. On Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, it displays no SSID and show all the SSID and no SSID and all the SSID.
Attached Thumbnails
When I turn on wifi on my android phone, my computer loses its connection.-capture.1gif.gif  
Computer Specs

04-Aug-2012, 03:50 PM #5
Quote:
it displays no SSID and show all the SSID and no SSID and all the SSID.
interesting - TerryNet may have an idea -

does it say no adapters - can we see the OFF situation as TerryNet suggested

I dont - but would be interested in
seeing the graph running and then turn the phone on/off

also for this sort of thing I find inSSIDer also useful - time graph shows all sorts of things
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
perhaps you can run that with timegraph see the graph running and then turn the phone on/off and and do a screen shot
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 04:11 PM #6
It's difficult to capture because it on and off rather quickly and Xirrus become unresponsive.
From looking at the screen, the adapter also disappears.

Okay, I'll try inSSIDer. Thanks.
BTW, I am just wondering, If the computer loses its adapter then I would think that the inSSIDer would display no graphs at all. Won't it?
Computer Specs

04-Aug-2012, 04:43 PM #7
Quote:
, If the computer loses its adapter then I would think that the inSSIDer would display no graphs at all. Won't it?
Yep, but the graph capture more change - at least so far
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 05:09 PM #8
Interesting. This time it didn't lose it's connection, but still unbrowsable.
Can you tell something by looking at the graph?

Thank you very much for your help etaf.
Attached Thumbnails
When I turn on wifi on my android phone, my computer loses its connection.-capture8.gif  
Computer Specs

04-Aug-2012, 05:17 PM #9
can you change to wireless channel 6 on the router
and also untick the top square and then just tick on your wireless - so you only have the one SSID showing - yours
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 05:53 PM #10
Since channel 6 is occupied by about 5 other devices, I changed it to channel 7.
Guess what? It fixed the problem. This is very interesting.

Is there a reason why you would suggest me to change it to channel 6?
Like it's a testing frequency, etc. If you need me to test out channel 6, please let me know, I will try channel 6.

Thanks again for all your help Wayne.
Computer Specs

04-Aug-2012, 06:13 PM #11
no reason for 6
channel 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap - and the channel 6 signals where low signal - so just wanted to try a different channel

so the idea is on the strong signals > -70 try and not be near an overlapping range
heres a picture
Attached Thumbnails
When I turn on wifi on my android phone, my computer loses its connection.-2.4_ghz_wi-fi_channels_-802.11b-g_wlan-.svg.png  
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 11:26 PM #12
The problem persist. I changed the channel again from 7 to 6; it appears that it works initially when I switch the channel, but a few hours later, the problem comes back. It won't lose connection; however, it become unbrowsable.

The attached screenshot is when the problem appeared again while using channel 7.
Attached Thumbnails
When I turn on wifi on my android phone, my computer loses its connection.-capture9.gif  
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 02:18 AM #13
Some more info:

Please see the attached screenshot. The graph pattern notably changes when the phone's wifi is on.
The desktop's connection become extremely slow when the phone actually uses internet/data.
By simply being connected to wifi seems don't interfere.
Attached Thumbnails
When I turn on wifi on my android phone, my computer loses its connection.-capturecompare.gif  
Computer Specs

05-Aug-2012, 08:19 AM #14
does this problem occur when the phone trys to connect to the wireless
can you turn the wireless OFF in the phone and see what happens

have a look in the router settings and see what lease time you have set for the DHCP settings - forever lease seems to be an issue for android phones and crashes the router

http://www.careace.net/2012/01/16/ho...vity-problems/
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 12:57 AM #15
Thanks etaf. I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.
When I say the phone on, I meant phone's wifi mode on and same for the phone off not the phone's power.
So, the problem occurs when the phone trys to connect to the wireless and connected to wireless and once turned the wifi off the problem goes away.

DHCP Lease Time sets at 24 hours.

Maybe I should take this issue to an android forum.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!