Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

A Tale of Two Networks

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 225 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Aug-2012, 06:58 PM #1
A Tale of Two Networks
I recently accepted a tech position for a small security company. Basically, our network is devided into two networks - one that has internet access and one that doesn't. We run several critical systems for various Public response agencies. Part of the reason I was hired was to sort out the mess they've built.

Many of our systems don't need internet access to function and the sensitive nature of the data require systems to be unexposed for certification.

We have one application that from time to time must be allowed to be on the internet to obtain live support for the program. The simple nature of the network ( it wasn't built by anyone with any tech background) means that on the basic level the two networks are separated by being on separate workgroups. It's just the way it is - I didn't build it - and it's not very likely there willing to change it. I tried just changing the workgroup...I really didn't think that would work, and it didn't.

The last IT guy quit suddenly, leaving little to no documentation. One of the employees point to a DOS terminal screen and said that the last guy gave internet access from there.

I'm going to guess he must have typed NET USE or NET START at the prompt, but my use of those commands it pretty rusty.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

I realize that in an open forum such as this, this question might get me red flagged, but I'm honestly just looking to get a quick handle on this situation.

S~
zx10guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,066 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 09:00 AM #2
I don't know of any NET command that would do this type of Internet restriction. It's also a clunky way of doing it. What would be better is to put in an ACL at the router to restrict Internet access to this particular box and then deactivate it for when you want to allow it to access the Internet.
Computer Specs
Member with 225 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Aug-2012, 09:36 AM #3
I was kind of guessing with the NET statement. I also don't see how a command could allow access either - I'm only going by what one employee (who has trouble sending email!) was trying to explain to me...she's the one who pointed to the command prompt shortcut. Without documentation on the network build, it's going to be slow going figuring anything out. Very wary company...I'm having a hard time gain access to anything without being watched over.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!