Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connection Slow and Dropping Several Times a Day

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Aug-2012, 11:39 AM #1
Connection Slow and Dropping Several Times a Day
I was recently infected with trojan.zeroaccess. I am confident it is gone; I did a complete "clean all" wipe of my hard drive and re-installed windows. Some of the networking & connection problems that I experienced when the trojan was active are still occurring.

On 7/31/2012 Norton popped up that trojan.zeroaccess was discovered and quarantined with no further action needed. I discovered on 8/02/2012 that I was actually infected after investigation my connection problems. Internet connection was slow and would drop & reconnect repeatedly. Long story short- my gmail and banking accounts both had blocked attempts to access my account info, so pretty obvious there was a backdoor opened and I had unauthorized connections to my system. I'm not one to take chances, so I just wiped everything and did a clean install.

What's weird is that I checked my Norton logs and at the exact second that I got the alert that the trojan was detected, these entries started appearing on my log.

IP address has disappeared from adapter teredo tunneling pseudo interface...,Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter \"Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface, IP address has disappeared from adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface and is no longer being protected,firewall disabled, Default Block SSDP\" blocked (192.168.1.1, Port (2869) ). Inbound TCP connection. ",Detected,No Action, stealthed (OWNER-PC (192.168.1.2), Port (5355) ). Inbound UDP packet, Block UPnP Discovery\" stealthed (192.168.1.2, Port ssdp(1900).Inbound UDP packet.2012-08-02 13:55:50,Info,"Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter \"Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface\" (IP address: 2001::9d38:953c:3cd1:370e:9d3e:5b85).",Detected,No Action Required,Firewall - Network and Connections,,,
2012-08-02 13:55:25,Info,"Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter \"Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030\" (IP address: fe80::3879:2f02:a7c8:99dc%11).",Detected,No Action

I don't know anything about networking. I do know that "teredo tunneling" has something to do with IPv4 & IPv6 converting. It seems like odd coincidence that the entries started at the exact second I got the trojan alert and going back through 90 days of logs, there were no entries remotely similar to that before that moment.

After the clean install of Windows7 and before attempting to reconnect to our wireless network, I reset the cable modem. Then I re-set the wireless router to factory settings. Changed our SSID, prevented it from broadcasting and changed the log in and password to both router and connection. I also released and refreshed our IP address as well.

Internet connection still seems not quite right. Still running slow and dropping connections. I am also still seeing the same type log entries and it seems like there are "a lot" of connections when I view the network but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Is it possible for the trojan to be on/in the wireless router and/or could the back-doors created by the trojan still be opened somehow? Is there a way to know if all of those connections are legitimate? Also, we have a wireless network printer. Could it lurk somewhere in there too? (Please don't laugh at me, I'm a tad paranoid now) Or the Roku or Xbox that are also on our network?

Any help is much appreciated!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8086 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, -1988 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 715301 MB, Free - 667246 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0YH79Y
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated and Enabled
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

16-Aug-2012, 09:30 PM #2
Bump
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 07:49 PM #3
Bump
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!