Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How Can I Share Certain File to Certain Network Users

(!)

Member with 32 posts.

27-Aug-2012, 11:55 PM #1
How Can I Share Certain File to Certain Network Users
I am using Compaq Presario CQ41. OS Windows 7. I am connected to other PCs via LAN. My computer name is "Compaq" and the ones that I connected to are named "NEXT" and "TESTING". I am able to access data to "NEXT", "TESTING" and vice versa which means that the LAN is working.

I want to share a certain file to "NEXT" but I want that file not to be shared by "TESTING".

I have done this thing:
right click on the file --> properties -->sharing -->advanced sharing --> permissions --> add..

There is a box that allow me to fill the object name. I try filling it with "NEXT" or "//NEXT". It said that the name can't be found. So, is there any way for me to solve this problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

28-Aug-2012, 09:54 AM #2
The "object name" in file permissions is a User Account. You can restrict the file to be shared by only specified account(s).

Some firewalls will allow you to restrict access by IP address or machine name (not on a file or folder basis though), but since you have no control over the IP address or name assigned by another computer that is not a guaranteed restriction.
Member with 32 posts.

29-Aug-2012, 12:40 AM #3
I have only one user account (also as administrator) in my "Compaq" with the user name also as "Compaq". "NEXT" and "TESTING" also only have 1 user account with the same name as the computer name. All those accounts have no password.

Oh, it looks like I forgot to inform that "NEXT" and "TESTING" is using Windows XP while "COMPAQ" is using Windows 7.

I have filled the object name of the restricted file with "Compaq" in the computer "Compaq".

So, this is what I have done in computer "NEXT":
Open User Account --> Manage network password --> fill the server text box with "Compaq" --> fill the account text box with "compaq@compaq" --> leave the password text box empty.

The problem is, when I try accessing the "permissioned file" from "NEXT", a message box appears showing that I don't have permission to access the file, thus access is denied.
Computer Specs

29-Aug-2012, 09:13 AM #4
Quote:
fill the account text box with "compaq@compaq"
I've never tried doing it that way, but the User name should be "compaq\compaq" (w/o the quotes).
Member with 32 posts.

30-Aug-2012, 05:49 AM #5
I try using "compaq\compaq" as you suggested. But I still can't access the file. It still shows the message box saying that "NEXT" has no permission to access the file.
Computer Specs

30-Aug-2012, 10:39 AM #6
Just looking at those screens you described it seems that what you are trying to do should work. But, as I said before, I've never tried doing it that way. Also never realized that something like that was potentially possible.

The way I've always thought you needed to do the kind of restrictive file sharing that you are trying is to add and use account "compaq" on the NEXT computer, or to add the account "NEXT" on the "compaq" computer and give the desired permissions to the NEXT account. Normally these would be password protected accounts, but you may be able to use non-password protected ones.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Aug-2012, 10:45 AM #7
If the file is on "COMPAQ" and you are trying to access from "NEXT", then permissions need to be set on"COMPAQ" so that "NEXT" can access files..
Member with 32 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 06:20 AM #8
Quote:
add and use account "compaq" on the NEXT computer, or to add the account "NEXT" on the "compaq" computer and give the desired permissions to the NEXT account.
I try your second suggestion by creating a new account in "compaq" with the name "NEXT" (the account with the same name as in computer "NEXT"). Then, I give permission to user "NEXT" in "compaq". I try accessing the file from computer "NEXT" but I still can't access it. The same message box appears.

Quote:
If the file is on "COMPAQ" and you are trying to access from "NEXT", then permissions need to be set on"COMPAQ" so that "NEXT" can access files..
I have set the permissions on "COMPAQ". I noticed that I can give the permissions to "AUTHENTICATED USERS", "BATCH", "CONSOLE LOGON", "CREATOR GROUP", "USERS", etc. But so far I am only giving the permissions to "USERS" by filling it with user account, and still failed to gain access to it from "NEXT". I have not used the others because I don't know what those are for ("AUTHENTICATED USER", "BATCH", etc.).
Computer Specs

31-Aug-2012, 09:28 AM #9
According to your other thread you do not even have much communication between these two computers. You need to get the communication working before file sharing has a chance.
Member with 32 posts.

01-Sep-2012, 05:24 AM #10
Quote:
You need to get the communication working before file sharing has a chance
I guess you are right. Until then, I'll put this thread on a hold.
Member with 32 posts.

21-Sep-2012, 03:26 AM #11
Firstly, I apologize for abandoning this thread for quite some time.

Now, I have a good connection between compaq and NEXT. I can ping by address and name from both PCs. But, the problem still has not been fixed. I have added an account of NEXT in compaq and shared give permission to it, but in computer NEXT, I still can't gain access to the restricted file.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!