Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: NETGEAR WPN824 mbps download speed problem - Desperate for assistance!!!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Sep-2012, 12:33 PM #1
Solved: NETGEAR WPN824 mbps download speed problem - Desperate for assistance!!!!
Hi,

I've been experiencing some problems with my RangeMax wireless NETGEAR router (model WPN824) in terms of wireless connectivity.

When directly plugged into my router (i.e. using ethernet cables), the download and upload speed (in mbps - megabytes per second) appear to be working correctly, where we register average download speeds of 15-19 mbps, and 1.99 to 2.07 mbps for upload speeds, as shown on speedtest.net. However, our wireless devices (i.e. laptops and Nintendo Wii) are not picking up the same download speeds, but the upload speed is fine. The problem is that the download speeds of the wireless devices are comparatively low, where speeds of 2.5 to 5.5 mbps are a commonality.

We've tried resetting the router (pushing that small button at the back of the router, using a pin) and have a new 10-character key password. We've also tried simply unlugging the power cable to the router, with disconnecting lengths of about 10 seconds to over a minute for separate attempts. It is also worth noting that the router occasionally disconnects and re-connects on irregular intervals, and we have many wireless devices attached to the router (though many of these are not in use and are very often disconnected from the internet, so I do not think the router is being overwhelmed).

I am currently paying for 30 mbps downloading speed and 2 mbps with respect to uploading, though the 30 mbps downloading speed will likely only be registered if directly connected to the black box (modem). As such, values of 10 to 18 mbps for downloading speed for a wireless device would be considered "normal".

Why would our wireless devices not pick the correct mbps download speed? Is it possible that there is a setting on the NETGEAR SMARTWIZARD page (192.168.1.1) that is preventing this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you for your time,

~Trav.~

Last edited by Rain1290; 11-Sep-2012 at 07:59 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,150 posts.

11-Sep-2012, 01:35 PM #2
When you make those Speedtest.net tests there is no other use of the internet or LAN at that time, right? If so, make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure.

If you still have 30% or more speed loss using the router vs. just the modem it's time to replace the router.
Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Sep-2012, 01:43 PM #3
You can try setting it up as only 802.11G, not 802.11B/G device and maybe change channel settings (try 1, 6, 11). Please note, quality of radio signals may degrade due to many factors. If you are using bandwidth-demanding applications cable connection will serve you better.
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.

11-Sep-2012, 03:23 PM #4
Hi TerryNet,

Do you mean when testing with speedtest.net on a specific wireless device/outlet (i.e. laptop), there should not be any internet use on that device/outlet at the same time? For example, I should not have Internet Explorer running while the test is in progress?

Also, how do I know if I have the latest firmware for my router? Note that we've already resetted the router last night, but we are still receiving the same kind of problem.

Hi ETech,

My channel is currently on 06.

***EDIT: ETech, where do you need to go to adjust the setting to 802.11G?

Thank you guys for your postings!

~Trav.~

Last edited by Rain1290; 11-Sep-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2012, 03:59 PM #5
Sometimes, if you don't try to carry them too far, analogies can help with understanding. I like to think of my download internet service as a water supply into the house, and then various pipes (ethernet cables and Wi-Fi connections) within the house to distribute the water to my computers and other devices.

If that big water supply pipe is capable of 30 Mbps that is the all the water I can get, whether I'm using one device or a dozen. If other people are washing dishes and flushing toilets and using 27 Mbps among them all I can get for my shower is 3 Mbps. Or I can wait until they all go to sleep and take my shower with 30 Mbps (if that doesn't drown me). If you've ever lived where the water pressure is low I'm sure you understand this concept.

What I hope you get out of the above foolishness is that if you measure the speed of a device connected to the router while it or any other device is using the network you may not be measuring the maximum possible.

Quote:
Also, how do I know if I have the latest firmware for my router?
You look at the date or version number of your router's firmware and at the date or version of the latest firmware for your model available on Netgear's web site. Then apply some math to see if they are the same
Member with 893 posts.

11-Sep-2012, 04:10 PM #6
Quote:
where do you need to go to adjust the setting to 802.11G?
Setup -> Wireless Settings -> Mode

Quote:
My channel is currently on 06
Try 1 and 11.
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.

11-Sep-2012, 06:49 PM #7
Hi TerryNet,

Thank you for that analogy - it really assisted in conceptualizing the situation!

Just to update, we've attempted to disconnect many wireless and wired devices to see if this would benefit a single wireless device in terms of download/upload speed. After disabling the internet on several devices, and then trying the speedtest (on speedtest.net), we found that the overall downloading speed is a little higher but is still below the 10 mbps threshold (a little over 5). The Nintendo Wii is also struggling to reach 1.5 mbps and has an average ping of 95 ms (the laptop, though, shows pings below 10 ms, with download speeds of 7 to 8 mbps, which is identical to even when multiple devices are working simultaneously).

We've also tried Etech's suggestion (the post above) and adjusted the "mode" setting to "g and b". We found that channels 1 and 11 under this setting do not offer much improvement, as compared to the default setting of 06.

Does this sound strange?

Thanks,

***EDIT: We've also updated our firmware to V2.0.15_1.0.11 from V2.0.8 (as is now shown on the NETGEAR Smartwizard page). After the update, we still find similar downloading mbps speeds on our wireless devices (5-8 mbps on the laptops and an average of 0.95 to 1.0 mbps on the Nintendo Wii, which has a maximum downloading capacity speed of 10 mbps).

***EDIT2: In case this helps, our current NETGEAR wireless settings (as per the NETGEAR Smartwizard homepage), following the resetting of the router (due to updating the firmware):

Channel: 06
Mode: g and b
Security options: WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)

Security Encryption (WEP)
Authentification Type: Automatic
Encryption Strength: 64 bit

Firmware version: V2.0.15_1.0.11

~Trav.~

Last edited by Rain1290; 12-Sep-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.

11-Sep-2012, 11:53 PM #8
In addition to the above posting (post #7), it is worth noting that our router is just over seven years old. Also, we've noticed that, recently, the router has been producing this hissing-like noise. Do these factors have relevance to the smaller download speed for the wireless devices in any way? Similarly, what could be the reason for the router disconnecting and then reconnecting on irregular intervals?

Thanks again,

~Trav.~
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2012, 12:16 PM #9
I inferred from your initial post that your internet service provides 30 Mbps download for a connection to the modem. For an ethernet connection to the router you get at most 20 Mbps download. If this is the case I really think that you are wasting your time worrying about any other defects in this router.

If you have any devices on the Wi-Fi using 802.11b probably everything is limited to 'B' speeds--nominally 11 Mbps but with actual data throughput maxing out at 5 or 6 Mbps.

Quote:
Similarly, what could be the reason for the router disconnecting and then reconnecting on irregular intervals?
One possibility is that it needs a firmware update following by a reset to factory defaults. Another, more likely possibility, is that it is defective. A third possibility is a problem with the modem or your internet service or the cable between modem and router.

Quote:
We found that channels 1 and 11 under this setting do not offer much improvement, as compared to the default setting of 06.

Does this sound strange?
If you are getting no wireless interference on any of those channels, or if you are getting very similar interference on them all, then it sounds perfectly normal.
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.

12-Sep-2012, 12:57 PM #10
Hi TerryNet,

Thank you for your response!

Given our situation, do you feel that we need to replace our router, on the basis that an ethernet connection provides, at most, 18-20 mbps? Indeed, our internet service offers 30 mbps of downloading speed (about 2 mbps uploading speed), but that downloading speed will likely only be registered if directly attached to the modem - otherwise, being attached via ethernet cables (from the router) offers the next best downloading speeds (near 20 mbps).

We've checked to ensure that the cable running from the modem to the router is connected properly, and it is. We've also verified that we have the latest firmware (V2.0.15_1.0.11) and resetted to default (factory) settings once updated (yesterday evening).

As for the "mode" settings, I do not notice the setting of "802.11b" - our options are "b only", "g only", "g and b", and "Auto 108Mbps". We are currently set to "g and b" and channel "06". Are we under the correct settings?

And, yes, it appears that there is no significant between channels 06, 1 and 11 in terms of download speed (though we noticed a jump in wireless download speed when set to "g and b", but these speeds range between 5-7 mbps, except on the Nintendo Wii, where speeds are closer to 1 mbps). Our upload speeds remain unchanged (1.99 to 2.11 mbps), so that appears to be working like it should.

Thanks again, TerryNet!

~Trav.~
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2012, 01:04 PM #11
Have you actually tested with a computer connected directly to the modem using the same cable as now used between modem and router? That is the only way I know to confirm that you are actually getting about 30 Mbps download using that modem and cable.

Quote:
We are currently set to "g and b" and channel "06". Are we under the correct settings?
I guess so, if you have an old device that is 'b' only.
Member with 893 posts.

12-Sep-2012, 02:10 PM #12
Set it to "G only", if I confused before, my apologies. When it's on "B and G" and there are some B devices on network, router will switch to B standard and tour throughput will decrease.
Computer Specs
Member with 410 posts.

12-Sep-2012, 03:00 PM #13
Hi TerryNet,

Apologies for the late response (thank you for your patience).

We directly connected the modem to my laptop and picked up three consecutive download speeds of 31 to ~31.5 (even once a near 33) mbps (upload speed around 2 mbps).

Etech7,

Ok, I'll switch it to "g only" and see what happens, but what channel should I set it to? Does the channel matter?

Thanks,

~Trav.~

Last edited by Rain1290; 12-Sep-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Member with 893 posts.

12-Sep-2012, 03:12 PM #14
Well, if you don't have special tools to check which channel is less busy, it all comes down to "trial and error", best practice is 1, 6 or 11, since they do not overlap.

Quote:
Does the channel matter?
It depends on your conditions. In a situation when there are no other radio devices around, it probably won't. But usually it does; to what degree - again, it depends.
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2012, 03:12 PM #15
If you're getting interference from another device, such as 2.4 GHz cordless phone or baby monitor, you will probably be getting disconnects (of the wireless devices) and channel 1 or 11 may help. If you want to look for possible interference from other Wi-Fi networks ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!